• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tonkin Gulf Spad 135332,Survivor

jmcquate

Contributor
When the NASM selects an aircraft that is not that rare to add to its collection, it prefers to add one that has a unique history. The F-4S in the collection was selected because it was a MiG killer in an earlier life as a Navy F-4J. It was delivered to the museum painted in a hi-vis VMFA-232 scheme courtesy of the Marines at Kaneohe Bay where she last flew and remains that way. To display her in MiG killer Navy colors would also require back dating the Phantom to a J. Not an inexpensive and a time consuming feat. The Tomcat on display is a VF-14 F-14D that began its life as an F-14A and was selected because it was one of the Gypsy MiG killers. Again, converting back to an A is no small feat so she is displayed in the colors she wore on her last flight.
If memory serves me, the Spad in the NASM collection is in SEA camo with no visible national marking and I’d be that she will remain that way with the addition of RVNAF markings.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Hopefully the NAVY side wins,being a trainer in the AF and service with the VNAF can't compare with the signifigance of being the lead Spad in Operation Pierce Arrow, the attacking of NVA Pt boats and the start of the the air war in Viet Nam.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Refresh my memory, but isn't this the incident where we have since learned there was nothing there except maybe some whales or other tiny radar echoes? I think Stockdale mentions doing strafing runs the night of this incident and not seeing anything in his book.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Refresh my memory, but isn't this the incident where we have since learned there was nothing there except maybe some whales or other tiny radar echoes?....

Refresh commences: while you can believe what you choose to believe ... try this on sometime during your leisure reading:

TONKIN: Setting the Record Straight ...
By Rear Admiral Lloyd R. "Joe" Vasey, U.S. Navy (Retired). Admiral Vasey was Chief of Staff for Commander Seventh Fleet. Subsequently, he commanded a fleet of destroyers, was Secretary to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and chief strategist for CINCPAC. He served as a submarine officer in the invasion of North Africa and then in the Pacific through World War II.

One of my former squadrons has 'history' w/ the incident(s) described, and I know some of the 'players' involved from a couple of the ships/squadrons mentioned ...