• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too many credits

Zabka

Hey all, something weird happened to me the other day, I was told by the NROTC recruiter at my university that I have too many credits to enter NROTC. I still have a little over 3 years left to get my degree but I currently have 43 credits, mostly core classes but only 1 towards my major. Is there anyway I can appeal this to get in, or should I just suck it up and finish my degree and go to OCS?

Thanks for the help!

Current stats are:
42 core class credits
1 major credit
2.75 overall GPA
4.33 major specific GPA

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I was told the same thing, they told me to try BDCP. Then they told me I missed the deadline for that, so I went OCS. I would say just keep plugging away at your degree, and really focus on bringing up that GPA and otherwise making a solid application for OCS.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sound right from my point of view. One other option would be to apply for College Program/Advanced Standing. You see, you have very little time to compete for a scholarship as a upper level-Sophomore verging on being a Junior. And the way the ROTC program works is that you HAVE to be on a scholarship (or advanced standing) starting your Junior year.

Talk to NROTC recruiting officer about Advanced Standing 2-year College program.

Zabka

Oh. haha, well never mind that. I will try to talk to NROTC again, although, the LT there was more eager on pushing me away than discussing options with me.

exNavyOffRec

Oh. haha, well never mind that. I will try to talk to NROTC again, although, the LT there was more eager on pushing me away than discussing options with me.

To be quite honest he is probably pushing you away because of your GPA.

Zabka

Sorry for the confusion, I was picturing a bell graph when I posted that...I meant I am closer to the peak of the bell curve than some of my peers

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry for the confusion, I was picturing a bell graph when I posted that...I meant I am closer to the peak of the bell curve than some of my peers

They don't look at it like that. They look at it from a straight numbers perspective.

While not at the unit level, I had a similar situation when I applied for ROTC. CNET (NETC now, I think) said I wasn't in the top 10% percent of my high school class, and that's why I was turned down. My guidance counselor put me as 8 out of 40-something students in my class because it was a magnet program. Never mind most of those 40-something people were in the top 50 of the overall high school class. When I called CNET and got the story, I told them I was actually less than 20 (I don't remember what it was) out of over 200. My counselor confirmed it on the phone and the LT on the other end said, "Okay, that will work, hang on one sec...... Okay, you're in."

The point is, you're being assessed, so they just care about numbers right now. They'll care more about your school/degree/etc for the service selection.

Zabka

Well the issue is settled, NROTC told me no go but, the Navy Officer Recruiter scooped me up right away. Thanks for all your helps guys!