• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too short for CH-53s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris04

I'm curious if anyone out there is a CH-53 pilot and can answer my question. I stand at only 5'3''. My flight surgeon says that I am too small for 60's but I can still fly 53's. He warned, however, that the last two mishaps in 53's occurred with pilots exactly my size. He said that they do not know if the mishaps were height related or not but it still concerns me. I am wondering if anyone knows a 53 pilot who is my size. If so, do they have problems reaching the controls?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know some short 53 pilots not sure exact height but I dont think it should be a problem

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
CLUX04, useless posts are not wanted

Clux4 said:
I have seen for jets but not for 53's. She did not have a problem from what I saw.
Why in the world do you feel the need to add such useless posts to threads? Your post did not add any value, or information to the question at hand. We have 53 pilots on this forum, and we also have a couple flight docs, let them or SNAs that have gone through the same difficulties, address this.

Just because I saw Top Gun, been to some Blue Angels airshows, read Bogeys and Bandits, and drank a beer at the Fallon O'club, sure as hell doesn't make me an expert on let's say "ACM", so you don't see me "contributing" to advanced jet threads. So what make you so sure that your observations are of value?

Why am I coming down on you? I have read countless negative repuation points on you asking you to stop with your posts. Obviously you aren't listening to the moderators, so, if that's the case, if you don't listen to me you are going to get banned.

kris04, my apologies for threadjacking your thread, hope some helo bubbas can help you with the answer.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as the mishpas goes that sounds suspect also keep in mind there are two pilots and Im betting they both werent 5'3" so take that with a huge grain of salt

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
My XO used to fly 53's before he saw the light, and he is all of like 5' 5"....not quite the 5' 3" you are but close....just remember its more about your anthros than your height anyways...your sitting height, reach etc.....great thing about helos though is you can always kick the nose out to take a look at where you are going if you cant see over the dash board :)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
My RI and form partner was a tiny man. He is flying -53E's
We also had a girl who was all of 5'1 or so select 53E's.

Don't sweat it...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kris04 said:
I'm curious if anyone out there is a CH-53 pilot and can answer my question. I stand at only 5'3''. My flight surgeon says that I am too small for 60's but I can still fly 53's. He warned, however, that the last two mishaps in 53's occurred with pilots exactly my size. He said that they do not know if the mishaps were height related or not but it still concerns me. I am wondering if anyone knows a 53 pilot who is my size. If so, do they have problems reaching the controls?

You would have to read the actual mishap reports to determine whether or not physical phactors played a role in the mishap. Sound fishy to me. I know a few 53 pilots but all are a bit taller than you.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
46Driver said:
Anybody know the limits for max/min ht/wt?

For which aircraft?

Webmaster was right....contact a flight surgeon or better yet a physiologist. Your local phys will be able to do an 'anthro' check in the cockpit. The check is usually made for folks who are out of limits (too tall or too short) on their anthro measurements (butt to knee, shoulder to butt, etc.) for certain aircraft platforms. They will put you in the aircraft (should be with a NATOPS qualified pilot present as well) and do a sit and reach with all the controls.

Kris, or anyone else, PM me with your military email addy and I will send you the name of one in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.