• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tps

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperChris

I was wondering if anyone has much information on test pilot school. What I"m looking for is who gets selected, what platforms they came from, and what they actualy work on as a test pilot.

I already have a basic understanding of what it takes to be selected (good preformance evals, CO's recomendation, strong science back ground). I have also heard that if you come from the pointy nosed community you have a better shot (reality?). I have talked to a few IP's who knew of people who were trying to go, but I haven't talked to any who knew people who had actualy gone.

I'm comming up on Selection pretty quick here, and while I have what should be competative grades for jets there are probably 7-8 other people slated to select at the same time (from corpus alone) who will have 60ish scores and also want jets. I'm currently thinking "j1, j2, e2/c2" as the standard selection card for wanna be's. But what I would like to know is, is there a platform that I'm overlooking, I"m pretty shure P3's are out, and I would prefer to not go back to Pensacola, but I don't realy know.

Any advice would be much appreciated, especialy from the "older" guys who have been there. Thanks in advance
chris

Chris, I heard that blimps are the next best thing to fighters when it comes to securing a test pilot position, I could be wrong so you may want to double check that.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
TPS guys from all communities, even NFO.

You maybe eligible after your first tour but since that is 4-5 years away, why sweat it now.

SuperChris

the reason that I'm "sweating it now" is because now is pretty much the only time I can realy do anything about it. I know that you have to work hard from what ever community, but I was wondering if there was a certain community that had a higher propensity to be selected. I know when it all boils down I realy have nothing to say about it either, I put in my wish list, I get what works best for them. But it would be nice to know, just for knowing's sake. thanks again.
chris

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If youa re from a community getting a new platform that must be tested sometimes that helps. Right now there are a lot of Marine Cobra guys going to test teh yankee and Zulu but that doesnt mean that others cant test it too.
On the green side TPS can be a career killer or at the very least put you into the acquisitions pipeline, not my squadron COs have time as a test pilot good luck and hit the math hard

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have known 3 P3 NFO and Pilots to have gone through TPS. They all had a great time. The pilot got checked out in all sorts of aircaft, and now as a post DH I believe he was looking at getting orders back.

Good to think ahead, but there are slots (I believe for all the bubbas).

Pags

N/A
pilot
There are slots for all communities. It does not matter if you are a pointy nose guy, and E-2 guy, a P-3 guy, or a Helo guy, they all need test pilots. The way I understand it works is that once you're done with TPS you become a test pilot for your community and fly in a VX/HX. I think the TPS website has the criteria they look for in applicants.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Yeah...I've been meaning to talk to you about this. We're using new covers for the TPS reports so if you could try to remember that'd be fantastic. I'll make sure you get a copy of that memo.

B

Blutonski816

Ryoukai said:
Yeah...I've been meaning to talk to you about this. We're using new covers for the TPS reports so if you could try to remember that'd be fantastic. I'll make sure you get a copy of that memo.

95beb6c5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.