• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfer to Naval Aviation from USMC IRR

usmc96

After four sucessfull years as a Marine Infantry Officer (two tours inthe sand Box) I am in the IRR. In the year that I have been out I have become qualified, By naval standards to become an aviator.
PRK, Solid ASTB ,Recommendations ....Yada Yada I am aware of the qualifications, and I meet them.

I have run the Marine path to ground and they will NOT take me back as an aviator. I have tried the "Rudy" approach with no luck

I have been working with the Navy Officer and he said that I can't trasfer to Naval Aviation from the USMC IRR. He is working well with me but I am reattacking from another angle.

Transfer or dropping my commission and signing up as if I just graduated college does not matter to me. I want to be a Naval Aviator.

I have gotten some good advice on this fourm ASTB and PRK package......

If anybody has any first hand proffesional knowlage of a Marine Officer getting off active duty to the IRR and the rejoining active duty as a Naval officer please hit me back.

Please, no "I heard of this Guy" or "My ROTC buddy told me..."

Thanks for you professional replies,

Ben

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oooh...this is a tricky one.

Two approaches the way I see it. One, you could simply resign your commission from the USMC and in effect be a civilian with NO TIES to the military. This should make you eligible to apply to be a Naval Officer (aviator type) via an officer recruiter.

Two, you could apply for a combination interservice transfer / naval flight training request. The references for both are found in the MILPERSMAN (Military Personnel Manual) and are linked below.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1300-080.htm
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1542-010.htm

Hope this helps. Understand I'm purely guessing on both approaches, but at least one of them should be an option for you.

Bevo16

pilot
I was winged with a guy who did exactly what you are talking about. The Navy even took him as an O-3, not an O-1.

PM me with your contact info and I'll work on getting you in touch with him next week.

usmc96

Thanks gentleman for the feedback.

Steve, I think I can run with those documents that you sent. If they are current documents and have not been revised in the past two years, I think I can run them up the flag pole.

Bevo I will send my contact info over. If for anything sure would like to pick your roomates ear.

This was exactly the feedback I needed,

Ben