• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tripping Down Memory Lane...

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Just rx'd this email (redacted):

Subject:CHANGE OF COMMAND CDR. BILL SHUTE AND CDR DON ROSS AUGUST 1965Date:October 20, 2009 12:56:32 PM EDT

To:"GUS XXXXXX" XXX@aol.com

Attachments:1 Attachment, 35.7 KB

cid_8C4EF2B3-ECB3-4C1A-94E5-25E0725.jpg

scan0003 THE ABOVE PHOTO WAS TAKEN BY VAP-62 AT NAS JAX IN AUGUST OF 65. ALL OF THE ADDRESSEES HAD DEPARTED THE SQUADRON EXPECT FOR BILL SHUTE AND MYSELF. THE NEW SKIPPER, DON ROSS FLEW DOWN IN AND A6 TO TALK TO BILL SHUTE. I ASKED VAP-62 TO TAKE AN IN FLIGHT PHOTO OF THE SPAD AND THE INTRUDER. I DON'T THINK ANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN THIS EXCEPT BILL IAMS. I GAVE HIM A COPY YEARS AGO. AS YOU KNOW XXX AND MYSELF WENT UP TO OCEANA TO JOIN THE NEW VA-35 WITH THE INTRUDER. I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT STARTING OVER WITH A NEW PLANE AND NEW PEOPLE IS NOT A FUN THING. WE GOT THE HELL SHOT OUT OF US WHEN WE WENT TO YANKEE STATION ON THE ENTERPRISE. IT WAS NOT A WALK IN THE PARK FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CHANGED TO THE A4 AND DEPLOYED ON THE INTREPID.

VA-35 had just returned from the Med...and PCS'ed to Oceana to transition from Spad to Intruder. The aforementioned four (including me) had some "sea time" left, and PCS'ed to Lemoore, and joined VA-95 as it transitioned from Spad to Scooter. Fun times...many of us still in frequent touch...Gus, BTW, an LDO...our Maintenance Officer...did a tour "in-country" instructing Vietnamese maintenance folks on A1...