• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trouble with the Nimrod

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Sorry to hear that for our British counterparts. Hopefully, they can figure out there problems.

However, was that article about the aircraft's problems or the evolution of the word 'Nimrod???' The last half of the article had nothing to do with the plane's problems. Guess the writere needed filler, huh?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
"The coroner ruled this morning that an aircraft whose design allowed such a thing to happen should never have been certified to fly in the first place."

Wow, I am glad to see they got an expert's opinion :confused:.

I don't recall a coroner participating in the last mishap I investigated, especially concerning certification or safety protocols.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The Mk IV was actually a contender for the USN's MMA, albeit, very briefly. I wonder if they'll decide they want P-8s now?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Trouble with the Nimrod is that it's butt-ugly - like many English aircraft. That said, an RAF Vulcan visited Forrest Sherman Field in 1967. It was the most beautiful military a/c I ever saw. It would make you want to fly bombers & be in somebody's air force. How the same country that produced the Lightning & the Nimrod could also produce the Vulcan & the Spitfire is a study unto itself. JMHO.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trouble with the Nimrod is that it's butt-ugly - like many English aircraft. That said, an RAF Vulcan visited Forrest Sherman Field in 1967. It was the most beautiful military a/c I ever saw. It would make you want to fly bombers & be in somebody's air force. How the same country that produced the Lightning & the Nimrod could also produce the Vulcan & the Spitfire is a study unto itself. JMHO.
Vis Recce 101:
If it's ugly - It's British.
If it's weird - it's French.

If it's ugly AND weird - It's Russian!

Flugelman

Contributor
A Nimrod crew visited us at VX-1 back in '75. On the inside, compared to the P-3, the Nimrod looked like someone just opened the door and threw a bunch of shit in. Crowded and disorganized, IMHO.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
"The coroner ruled this morning that an aircraft whose design allowed such a thing to happen should never have been certified to fly in the first place."

I don't recall a coroner participating in the last mishap I investigated, especially concerning certification or safety protocols.

The coroner may or may not be qualified to make a statement. "Coroner" may or may not mean medical examiner. It's just a title for someone who determines the cause of death. In this case, it may actually be someone heading a group of investigators into the cause of the mishap. Perhaps not--but you don't know from the article. The hyperbole of the statement makes me lean toward your conclusion that he's an unqualified boob, but we can't say for sure.

I did get a kick out of this post on the message board there:

Less well known is Canada’s Dillweed fighter.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

A coroner in the UK is something completely different in the UK than in the US.

It's closer to a senior magistrate or even a state supreme court judge, rather than a medical examiner like we think of in the US.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If it's ugly AND weird - It's Russian!

HAHAH...Great joke. I have to respectfully disagree with the Russian bit though...

mig29-6.jpg

Hotness...