• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

True American Hero - Hank Bauer passes

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I didn't even read this story until today, I think it was lost in the whole Anna Nicole Smith fiasco. I am a baseball history connoisseur and love great Americans. This is the kind of man who made this country great.

God Bless - and Semper Fidelis.

One month after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Bauer enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps. While in the South Pacific, Bauer contracted malaria, but recovered enough to earn 11 campaign ribbons, two Bronze Stars and a pair of Purple Hearts in 32 months of combat. His second injury came during the Battle of Okinawa, when he commanded a platoon of 64 men. Only six survived the brutal siege, with shrapnel hitting Bauer in the thigh and sending him home.

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2007/02/14/ap/sports/baseball/d8n6onog0.txt

t1_bauer.jpg
0210bauer.jpg

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Boy, this brings back memories. I saw him play in the 1972 Old Timer's Game at Yankee Stadium, the last one before they remodeled the stadium. It was quite a group that took the field: Bauer, DiMaggio, Berra, Mantle, Whitey Ford, Clete Boyer, Mel Stottlemeyer, Elston Howard, Bobby Richardson and many more. Mantle even hit a home run on a pitch thrown by Whitey Ford.

phrogpilot73

While I applaud and am appreciative of his service as a U.S. Marine... He's a Yankee. Ted Williams was better, because he was a Marine Pilot, and a member of the world's greatest baseball team - the Red Sox.

All kidding aside, may a great American rest in peace.

brownshoe

Contributor
Boy, this brings back memories. I saw him play in the 1972 Old Timer's Game at Yankee Stadium, the last one before they remodeled the stadium. It was quite a group that took the field: Bauer, DiMaggio, Berra, Mantle, Whitey Ford, Clete Boyer, Mel Stottlemeyer, Elston Howard, Bobby Richardson and many more. Mantle even hit a home run on a pitch thrown by Whitey Ford.

Yep, that was quite a crowd, I'm old enough to have seen them all play. Good movie by the way... "61" it's about Roger and the Yankee's back in those days.

Steve

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Ted Williams was better ...
Well no one would argue with that :D Ted also showed the sacrifice that so many men of that generation did, losing some of his best years to service to our country. (And his numbers were still awe-inspiring minus those 5 years)

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Hopefully, the Yankees will do some sort of memorial for him this year. Good man.
I know its really cool for everyone to hate the Yankees, but that is one thing they always do - honor their Yankee family. He will no doubt be honored at the big stadium in the Bronx.