• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Try this for unusual...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunt

Hi there folks. This is my first time visiting your site and it looks good, by the way.

Here's the unusual bit. I am a former US Army Infantry officer who left nearly two years ago as a Captain (O-3 for those of you who don't speak Army) with four years of service. I am just starting to look into taking a shot at Naval Aviation as I wanted to do growing up. I wouldn't imagine you see that too often. Any pointers from those of you who have been there and done that would be most appreciated.

Mike the Grunt

Jeff29

Science Project
I'm guessing that this would make you at least 28 years old. For pilot, the age limit is 27, but there is a waiver up to 31 which your prior service would qualify you for. I'm 29 and had to get this same waiver.

If you have solid FITREPs, can get a couple good letters of recommendation, and can do well on the ASTB, I'd say you have a good shot.

An active member of this board, Dave Shutter, did exactly what you are talking about doing (although he was enlisted) and is currently at OCS.

Most importantly, you'd have to be willing to wear uniforms that actually look good.

-Jeff

Edited by - Jeffrey Bennion on 01/09/2002 01:16:07

Grunt

Jeff, thanks for the info. Actually, I was one of the younger folks in my year group and I'm still 27. I guess I'd better get cracking on this. I have been planning on calling the number to the officer recruiters I found on the navyjobs.com website this week. If anyone here knows of a better route, I'd love to hear about it.

I know I can get the letters, my OER's (Army-speak for FITREPS) should support me, but I need to study for that test. I am taking a pre-calculus course at the local community college starting tomorrow because I haven't done anything more mathmatically complicated than balance my checkbook since my freshman year of college. Any pointers on prepping for the test woudl be great as well.

Yes, Army uniforms aren't the best to look at. Fortunately, as an infantryman, I wore camoflague almost every day of my career. I only put on greens four or five times after ROTC. I grew up Navy (Dad was in, I lived and live now in Virginia Beach) so I can say I surely prefer the blue over the green.

Mike the Grunt

Jeff29

Science Project
Mike,

There is quite a bit of info on this board about the tests. Basically, I would go to a book store and get the ARCO books. Also, there is a practice test put out by the Marine Corps; I don't have a copy of it, but several people on this board do.

Since I'm a transfer within the Navy, my application process was a little different. The expert on your situation is definitely Dave Shutter. I think he's almost done with OCS, and he checks the board on the weekends.

Grunt

Thanks for the info. After posting this message, I am going to make some phone calls about this, go for a run, then pull together my evals, awards, etc. I need to get the ball rolling.

Dave, if you read this, any info you can pass on to me would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats all on your accomplishments as discussed on this board. I'm jealous and hope to be in your shoes one day.

I'm chasing down the study guide. Barnes and Noble didn't have it and I'll try to figure out where to get the USMC version as well.

Mike the Grunt

Al

Grunt,

After you review the course material, my advice would be to save the ARCO sample test(s) as a guage not only of your knowledge but your speed. I took the ATSB and qualified and cannot stress how much drilling the sections on a time limit helped. I really think if you're a decent standardized test taker, brushed up on the subject matter, and are comfortable with the section time limits you should more than qualify.

Amazon.com has a bundle of the ARCO Flight Aptitude Test and the Officer Candidate Test books for $38. The Officer Candidate Test book was helpful because it had more sample sections for the math (my weak point) and reading comprehension.

Good luck!

-Al

Grunt

Thanks for the info, Al. I just ordered the ARCO flight book so I should have it in 10 days or so. I don't think I am going to have to attend OCS because I have 4 years of commissioned service under my belt already. I think I might have to take the same sort of indoctrination class they send docs and lawyers to so they can learn how to walk and talk Navy-style. I could be wrong about these assumptions though. I'd like to get my hands on the USMC study guide as well, just to have a good variety of material. I also am taking a pre-calculus refresher course at the community college starting tomorrow. Hopefully that will brush up my math skills enough.

I called the officer recruiting number i found on navyjobs.com and the lady there told me to call BUPERS in Tennessee. Much like the US Army's PERSCOM, I was only able to leave voicemails because I don't think any actual people work there, just computers. Any ideas on where else I could call would help.

Thanks.

Mike the Grunt

Jeff29

Science Project
I would think that you would fall under Navy Recruiting Command not Bupers. Did they tell you why?

If you're trying to get in touch with people at Bupers, go to www.bupers.navy.mil and check under detailers or community managers. I would try either the Aviation Community Manager, or the Detailer for Student Placement. Also, when dealing with Bupers, it is usually better to use email.

Paul Burke

Hey Mike

I am prior service that just went through the hoops. I was enlisted Navy then got out and went to school.

I would talk directly with your area's Officer Recruiter. It will save a lot of run around time and they can serve as your POC.

The ARCO books are good for their explanation of things you don't know. I have the Marine Corps ASTB Study Guide posted on a website because it is too big to send in an e-mail.

www.geocities.com/seadog138 Ignore the link to the version in html format, it doesn't work. You need Microsoft Word to view it and it is a very large file so it will take a few minutes to load if you have a slow connection.

As for your packet. Send a copy of your service record along with it. It saves them a lot of time. Be sure to brief your recruiter on the highlights of it so he can include it in his write up.

Just like anything else, you can do it and make the grade or you can do it and blow it out of the water. Take that to heart and apply it.

I am almost 100% sure that you'll have to go through OCS. Enlisted's that transfer from one service to another have to go through boot camp for that service. The only times I know of that boot is shortened is when someone is returning to the same service at their same rating. They go through an indoc course.

Hope this helps

FLY NAVY!!!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hey Grunt,
Congratulations. You are one of the few "legs" who realizes that flying to battle is a hell of alot more fun then walking to it. Of course I didn't say easier. You'll wish you were walking if you ever see the smoke plume from a SAM start tracking on you but that's a story for a different day! I'll be honest, I don't know if the Corps will consider you because of your rank. They may and will if that's what you want. Unfortunately, if you go to the Corps, you will HAVE to spend 6 months at The Basic School before going to P'cola. My advice is that the easier route to an aviation contract is via the squids. They do not have a formal school past OCS and assimilation to the ranks is a bit less stressful. I mean your biggest difficulty will be relearning the rank structure. Haircuts are a thing of the past. They go to "salons" about once a month and box their hair in the back. Uniforms won't be a problem except for the expense. Most Navy officers don't know their uniform regs so they just throw it together. You don't even have to use an iron because the uniforms are made of polyester. They look freshly pressed when found at the bottom of the clothes hamper. Boot polish is stocked at the Navy exchange as a mere formality. Most Navy officers think that "white is right" for their boots. This, of course, color coordinates with their white sport socks and Polo shirt under their flight suit. Considering what you've been through, I think you'll have a much easier time and a lot less resistance. Mind you, this description generally fits aviators, SWO's are a different breed. In fact they are a lot more squared away. If you desire the Corps, I'll help anyway I can.
Semper Fi! Frumby "The Flying Grunt!"

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Grunt

I just spoke with the person who's number I got at BUPERS. He was a reserve component guy and it made no sense for me to talk to him (in his words). I'll be looking up my local recruiter today.

MAJ Frumby, that was hysterical! I grew up in Navy-land so I have seen what you mean. We have a friend of the family who just retired from Naval avation and I remember his polo shirt uner the flight suit from when he was a squadron commander. I am looking at the Corps as well, but on the advice of a good friend who flies Hornets for the USMC I am checking out the Navy first. The way he figured it I have a better chance of getting into and staying in an avation pipeline and a better chance of getting jets as is my desire. If you know better please let me know. As an infantryman, I have gained a certain perspective and the Corps probably comes the closest to understanding it as an organization.

Bart, thanks for the study guide link. I'll check it out now.

Mike the Grunt

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree with your buddy to a certain degree. Due to your current pay grade, I just think the Corps will be more difficult because you will be sent to TBS to learn how to be in the infantry and to be an officer. If you can deal with that then it's no big deal. The Corps is in dire straits for aviators in general which is not much different then the Navy. I will agree that you may have a better shot at staying in an aviation pipeline then the Corps but its all a matter of your desires. I would call your local Navy officer recruiter (generally colocated with a reserve unit) and concurrently call a Marine OSO (Officer Selection Officer). Ask alot of questions and compare. That's my best advice. If you have a question or something doesn't seem Kosher, ask me or I'll find out the answer. By the way, what's your friends name that's flying Hornets. I just might know him. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Grunt

TBS would be sort of fun, as much as those courses can be fun anyway. I just would rather not burn 6 months that way given the choice. I appreciate the offers of help and I'll probably take you up on it.

By the way, my buddy's name is Lance Lewis. He's a Captain stationed in Beufort, SC.

Mike the Grunt

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You know, I think he was one of my studs. Ask him if he remembers Maj Hein from Kingsville.
I agree, I would'nt want to burn 6 months as well. I thought that you might come to that conclusion as well.
Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Edited by - frumby on 01/10/2002 17:18:19

Grunt

Maj Frumby, I just shot him an e-mail. He is presently delivering love and kisses to Afghanistan in 500lb packages so I should get a reply in a few days.

I finally found the right place to talk to a real person about the process, but the right people were not there today. They will be there tomorrow so perhaps I'll find something out then. I am in the process of dragging out all my evals and awards to make a packet I can submit. I printed that USMC study guide (thanks Bart) and I'll start working through it this weekend (my math class starts tonight).

Mike the Grunt

Status
Not open for further replies.