• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying to get into Navy OCS, either Intel or EOD

stephilisa

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and it's been very helpful.

Here's my story and I'm actually NOT trying to go into aviation!

I'm a 31 year-old female and trying to get into Navy OCS. I run 26 miles a week and have been a competitive swimmer most of my life. I can do everything for the PT Test, but I'm still trying on the pull-ups. I'm taking the ASTB this week for the first time.

I have a B.A in Commercial/Advertising Photography (also specialized in underwater photography) and I'm a Dive Master working toward Assistant Instructor. Since I have a heavy background in water rescue and jumping out of choppers, the Navy suggested EOD - sounds fun, but we have to get an age waiver. I'm putting together two OCS packages, Intel and EOD.

I've been told over and over again by the recruiters that it's EXTREMELY competitive to get into OCS. On the other hand, I have a friend who's an Intel Officer and tells me that they are "hurting for Intel Officers".

I guess I'm trying to find out just how competitive the whole thing is and/or is this discouragement a way for recruiters to separate the serious applicants from the not-so-serious?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone knows of any EOD people for me to contact for age waiver info - that would be great, too!

Thank you so much,

Stephanie

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
As for EOD, I cannot say for certain but I would not at all be surprised that it is closed to women. I could be very wrong, though.

EOD is open to women, I have met a few myself.

lmnop

I guess I'm trying to find out just how competitive the whole thing is and/or is this discouragement a way for recruiters to separate the serious applicants from the not-so-serious?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone knows of any EOD people for me to contact for age waiver info - that would be great, too!
I can tell you that the community has indeed been averaging 2 slots a year for OCS, and those slots are largely filled by prior enlisted Navy EOD techs....so, pretty competitive for a civilian coming in without any experiece in the field.

Age waivers are available for EOD, with year for year waivers provided for active duty experience pertinent to the job (ND, EOD). I'm sure that there may be a way to wangle an age waiver as a civilian, but the community manager is going to be the one that makes that call. That said, if you're competing with a multiple post-deployer EOD1 that has already competed the entire pipeline and doesn't require an age waiver...you're pretty much SOL.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but that's the reality. If you have any specific questions, give me a shout.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Steph,

Don't rule out a career as a deep sea diving officer as well. If you really like getting wet, you might actually find yourself diving more at a MDSU (Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit) Which also gives you the opportunity for future assignments to a SEAL Team, SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team as well as EOD. (yes, they assign women as "techs") There's also the Experimental Diving Unit in Panama City.

I agree, OCS itself would be your biggest hurdle rather than a diving billet. Once you're in the door I would think the community would welcome with open arms a woman who could represent them well.

MR-

lmnop

Unfortunately, there isn't a URL track to be a straight diving officer anymore. Basic Diving Officer and Salvage went away as pipeline schools a little while ago and the loss of ARS class ships meant that most JO diving officer billets went away as well. EOD officers may serve a tour at a MDSU, but those billets are few and far between. The only true diving officer track these days is to enlist, become an ND and eventually get picked up as a diving CWO.

stephilisa

Thank you!

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the good, practical advice! This has all been very helpful and is keeping me focused on what I want.

Does anyone know any EOD people I could contact?

Thank you,

Stephanie

lmnop

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the good, practical advice! This has all been very helpful and is keeping me focused on what I want.

Does anyone know any EOD people I could contact?

Thank you,

Stephanie

I think I might know one or two....;)