• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TU-154 not doing so good.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
My god, that's 4.5 minutes of absolute terror/torture for that crew & pax. Great procedures & stick work by the pilot to get that POS on the ground safely, as it seemed on the edge of a stall for almost the entire video. I once ('96) had to take an Aeroflot TU-154 from Moscow to Irkutsk, then on to Chita. At the time I didn't realize how lucky I was. FWIW, in Irkutsk they were much less security-minded that they were in Moscow. I was able to get close to some Migs & Backfires parked there. No american [naval or otherwise] aviator would ever be caught signing off on one of those POS. The workmanship (just looking at the skin of the a/c) was beyond terrible.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Another site said it was a first test flight after sitting on the ground for 10 years.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... No american [naval or otherwise] aviator would ever be caught signing off on one of those POS....
Funny how you reference that Soviet-era version of the B-727 "3-holer" as being a "POS".

Many years ago we bumped into some Rooskie Aeroflot pilots @ Darwin's Theory while on a layover in Anchorage ...

stheoryanc.jpg

Much drinking had ensued when one of their pilots (very proud of his American idiom), sweating beer, stood up and loudly announced:
"Our airplane ??? How do we like it ?? It is ... how you say ... a piece of shit"!! :)

Laughter followed ... glasses clinking ... refills all around ... and more of the same questionable layover behavior continued. If necessary,
we could 'crawl' back to our hotel (pictured in the background). :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I once ('96) had to take an Aeroflot TU-154 from Moscow to Irkutsk, then on to Chita.

My Grandfather and Grandmother flew on an Aeroflot one circa 92 somewhere in a Bodo Norway to Moscow to St Petersburg trip. My Grandfather, with 27,000+ hours flying 727's for Eastern said it was the most scared he had ever been on a commercial aircraft.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I haven't figured out how it didn't depart controlled flight (if that's what you want to call what it was doing to begin with).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Kinda looked like that guy that does the drunk pilot airshow act in his piper cub......but much bigger. Didn't look like that was going to end well when it disappeared below the treeline....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Funny how you reference that Soviet-era version of the B-727 "3-holer" as being a "POS".

Many years ago we bumped into some Rooskie Aeroflot pilots @ Darwin's Theory while on a layover in Anchorage ...

stheoryanc.jpg

Much drinking had ensued when one of their pilots (very proud of his American idiom), sweating beer, stood up and loudly announced:
"Our airplane ??? How do we like it ?? It is ... how you say ... a piece of shit"!! :)

Laughter followed ... glasses clinking ... refills all around ... and more of the same questionable layover behavior continued. If necessary,
we could 'crawl' back to our hotel (pictured in the background). :)

Ah yes, and Darwin's Theory is still going strong! Though i tend not to like a lot fo the clientele, i'm more a Humpy's fan.

Funny story though!

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
I am going to take a guess and say that it was caused by a rudder hard-over/stuck hydraulic actuator? Which could explain the divergent yawing associated with power decease/increase to maintain a proper rate of descent. Because it wasn't too bad on the downwind once power was steady-state. Good job by the crew to get that thing on the ground!