• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U-2 Deadstick Landing

Pags

N/A
pilot
Is a dead stick that big of a deal when you're already flying what would appear to be a glider?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Is a dead stick that big of a deal when you're already flying what would appear to be a glider?

I would say yes...unless you plan on grabbing a thermal, ridge lift or mountain wave to increase your time aloft. I am pretty sure they don't practice that in a U-2:)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I would say yes...unless you plan on grabbing a thermal, ridge lift or mountain wave to increase your time aloft. I am pretty sure they don't practice that in a U-2:)

Maybe they could train with this ASW-25 EB28......28m wingspan. U2 has 30 I think.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm sorry, but that was too painful to listen to the whole thing. Any transcripts not in Engrish? Anything important other than that it was in an unusual aircraft at high altitude?

yakboyslim

None
Just that he landed successfully without a chase car, and at night.

Also that he did not know any of the terrain and happened to descend through the clouds and into a valley, instead of a mountain. Last thing of real interest is that he did it basically straight in - did a real short circle and landed. His glide got him to the runway and not a foot further.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm sorry, but that was too painful to listen to the whole thing. Any transcripts not in Engrish? Anything important other than that it was in an unusual aircraft at high altitude?

Edited to say that my comments are directed towards the largest glider clip I posted.....

Agreed. Nothing important except that it was interesting to see that much wing on a civilian single seat aircraft. I know the amount of adverse yaw created by trying to roll that beast must be tremendous. The 15-17m wingspan gliders I have flown were bad enough. Most sailplane pilots have to get pretty good with the rudder to stay coordinated. I'm guessing the U2 requires a bit of the same.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Edited to say that my comments are directed towards the largest glider clip I posted.....

Agreed. Nothing important except that it was interesting to see that much wing on a civilian single seat aircraft. I know the amount of adverse yaw created by trying to roll that beast must be tremendous. The 15-17m wingspan gliders I have flown were bad enough. Most sailplane pilots have to get pretty good with the rudder to stay coordinated. I'm guessing the U2 requires a bit of the same.

Does the U2 have a yaw string? I fight that is probably the most important instrument on a sailplane, with maybe a variometer in at a close second.