• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

U.S. military aircraft hit by enemy fire in South Sudan; three service members wounded

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I wonder how feasible mounting a couple of .50's or mini-guns on the side/rear of the Osprey would be...

Might make it a little more desirable as a career choice...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I wonder how feasible mounting a couple of .50's or mini-guns on the side/rear of the Osprey would be...

Might make it a little more desirable as a career choice...

Already been done. The marines have already tested (and I thought approved) a ramp mounted .50. There is also a belly mounted minigun. I know it was deployed to Afghanistan in 2010, but the squadron using it immediately stopped because the interface made the gunners sick. Supposedly there was a new design approved last year. Not sure where that's at as far as being operational.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Interesting that this isn't in the news, seeing as it was a NEO. I also think its interesting that the current administration actually thinks anyone in south Sudan gives a crap what our government thinks of their actions.