• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs for UPT Grads

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Oh man, that would suck. It was bad enough when they were taking F-16 drivers during their first tours! Now these kids won't even have the chance to fly a fleet aircraft! I wonder if they could recruit for UAV pilots. I'm sure somebody would volunteer...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know everyone hates the question, and we usually say it in jest, but I guess on baseops, people can truly ask now: "What percent get UAVs??". Then they will promptly be answered "10%". Awesome! :D

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Now these kids won't even have the chance to fly a fleet aircraft!
"After completing a standard UAS tour, UPT Airmen will receive a follow-on assignment to a manned aircraft, Colonel Lee added."

well, to be honest, I didn't read the article. But the buddy of mine who was facing the UAV bullet (Viper driver) explained that once you went down that road you were gone forever from the cockpit - with only a few rare exceptions. I guess it isn't as bad a deal as it could be.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I, in fact, DO smell-l-l-l-l, what the HAL is cookin'. I am going to call my AF buddy in UPT and tell him he's going UAVs. I think that's even worse than telling the guy whining about "Jets or DOR" that there are no more jet slots this FY. :D

Spreading bad gouge. Is that a fitrep bullet for JOs?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
My brother tells me there are 2 guys in his ROTC det at Miami Ohio that want to fly UAVs. :eek: :confused:

Crowbar

None
My brother tells me there are 2 guys in his ROTC det at Miami Ohio that want to fly UAVs. :eek: :confused:

I know this is a stretch for some of you, but not everybody in the world wants to be a pilot. At least people like that can make up a partial volunteer force for that 10%.

These people you're talking about, do they want to do it for a couple of years or for good?

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
One thought I had for UAV's was why not make it an option for SNA's that have a problem with airsickness?? I was surprised by how many SNA's have this problem after NOMI, and the majority of them are good to go on all the knowledge and procedures, so why not stick them in a position where they could perform without a problem? I realize they would still have to get through Primary, but they could just suck it up for a few months. Just my .02. :)

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
well, to be honest, I didn't read the article. But the buddy of mine who was facing the UAV bullet (Viper driver) explained that once you went down that road you were gone forever from the cockpit - with only a few rare exceptions.

FWIW - That is the same info my friends in blue told me as well. That to them was the worst part. It's one thing to have a 'raw deal' tour in your career (I'm sure most of the guys on this board have been there/done that), it would suck though to catch one and be stuck with it for good.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I know this is a stretch for some of you, but not everybody in the world wants to be a pilot. At least people like that can make up a partial volunteer force for that 10%.

These people you're talking about, do they want to do it for a couple of years or for good?

I asked, they think it is a good career move to get in at the ground level on a budding program and they want to blow shit up from their office, then go home and throw it to the wife every night. (which I can understand)