• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniform Regs

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
If you rate more than one set of wings, is there any Marine Corps reg that states which one should be worn on top of the other?

Thanks

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would think the current active MOS would be on the top. I knew a USMC F-4 driver who was a former F-4 NFO. He wore his pilot wings on top as he flew in that capacity.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
i. When two Navy/Marine Corps aviation insignia are worn at a time, the senior insignia will be worn 1/8 inch above the other as follows (from top to bottom):

(1) Naval Aviator and Naval Aviation Pilot

(2) Naval Flight Officer

(3) Marine Aerial Navigator

(4) Naval Aviation Observer

(5) Combat Aircrew

(6) Naval Aircrew

However, a Marine qualified for both naval aircrew and combat aircrew insignia will wear only one of his choice.

j. When the Navy/Marine Corps parachutist insignia is worn, the basic parachutist insignia will not be worn. When aviation insignia is worn with the basic or Navy/Marine Corps parachutist insignia, the parachutist insignia will be centered 1/8 inch above any aviation insignia.

k. When EOD insignia is worn with aviation or parachutist insignia, the EOD insignia will be centered 1/8 inch above the other insignia.

l. When the SCUBA or other appropriate U.S. Navy diver insignia is worn with any other breast insignia, the diver insignia will be centered 1/8 inch above the other insignia.

m. Not more than two USMC-approved breast insignia will be worn on the left, and not more than one foreign pilot or other U.S. service pilot/navigator insignia will be worn on the right, at any time.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
When two Navy/Marine Corps aviation insignia are worn at a time, the senior insignia will be worn 1/8 inch above the other as follows (from top to bottom):

(1) Naval Aviator and Naval Aviation Pilot

(2) Naval Flight Officer

So a pilot is senior to a NFO. :(

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yea, I dont think I've heard of a Pilot to NFO transition. Not like that would be bad or anything. I chose to be an NFO because I appreciate the job. I dont think one is more superior to the other. But some pilots I've met act as if NFOs are second-class citizens.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, I dont think I've heard of a Pilot to NFO transition. Not like that would be bad or anything.

Actually I know of one...his callsign is "Famous."

He started out as a pilot and did the whole F-14 FRS. DQ'd at the boat with his 1310 pilot wings on.

Went back through and was redesignated an NFO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually I know of one...his callsign is "Famous."

He started out as a pilot and did the whole F-14 FRS. DQ'd at the boat with his 1310 pilot wings on.

Went back through and was redesignated an NFO.

I know several guys in that boat. Same reasons as well: non-hackers behind the boat.

Brett

VS FO

pilot
None
I've heard before that Marines who completed both NFO and pilot training were authorized to wear both wings. Anybody actually seen the regs to back this up? Just curious since I can't wear both. As far as Pilot-NFO transitions, like everyone else I've only seen it after a DQ, but surprisingly enough I have known at least one fleet pilot who said he would express interest if such a program existed. Maybe there are more.........

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I've heard before that Marines who completed both NFO and pilot training were authorized to wear both wings. Anybody actually seen the regs to back this up?

Yup, #3 of this thread. See MCO P1020.34 for more detail.

Cheers/ Paul

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, #3 of this thread. See MCO P1020.34 for more detail.

Cheers/ Paul

I can't speak for the Marines, but IAW Navy Uniform Regs (5201.2.a), you can only wear one breast insignia from a single category (defined in reference), thus pilot and NFO wings would be unauthorized for simultaneous wear.

Brett

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I can't speak for the Marines, but IAW Navy Uniform Regs (5201.2.a), you can only wear one breast insignia from a single category (defined in reference), thus pilot and NFO wings would be unauthorized for simultaneous wear.

Brett

Concur. The poster was asking a Marine specific question. I've actually seen a handful of "dual qualed" Marines. I'm familiar with the reg because I was curious if I would be authorized to wear EAWS and ESWS (I'm not). Guess I'll have to wait on that 2 anchor thingy. :icon_viki

Paul