• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unmanned AND Green

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
it looks like a big cartoon sperm.

I'm not sure how it will eliminate the need for overseas basing (see the Boeing Video) if it's only flying at 65,000 feet, has little to no apparent stealth properties, and is only capable of carrying a quarter ton payload (500 pounds sounds much less impressive than a quarter ton). It ain't out of reach, it can't defend itself, and it's not like people aren't going to notice this thing buzzing around on their scopes for 10 days at a time.

Neat toy, though.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm not sure how it will eliminate the need for overseas basing (see the Boeing Video) if it's only flying at 65,000 feet, has little to no apparent stealth properties, and is only capable of carrying a quarter ton payload (500 pounds sounds much less impressive than a quarter ton). It ain't out of reach, it can't defend itself, and it's not like people aren't going to notice this thing buzzing around on their scopes for 10 days at a time.

Neat toy, though.

That's exactly what I thought when I came across that part.

SkywardET

Contrarian
it looks like a big cartoon sperm.

Neat toy, though.
You mean the stats of a technology demonstrator aren't all that impressive?

I'd say that it looks to have some potential. Its objective isn't in what it does but in what it does not need; it is designed to lighten the American footprint. If any future engagements are at all similar to Afghanistan, and even in Afghanistan ten years from now (because we will probably still be there), this could potentially eliminate political liabilities such as our footprint in Pakistan.

Incidentally, since its exhaust is water vapor, it is actually emitting a far stronger "greenhouse gas" than carbon dioxide. The real question is how much, because hydrocarbon combustion emits both carbon dioxide and dihydrogen monoxide.

Shakeszilla

Hydrogen power isn't really a "green" alternative because its just a form of energy storage, like a battery. The plants the produce hydrogen run off of local grids.