• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF flies with alternative blend

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Here's a link to the news story. The Air Force put this half conventional/half alternative fuel blend in an A-10. I think the best part is that it didn't come from corn or soy, and the plant puts out a LOT of fuel per acre. Apparently they say they want half of their fuel supply to be this stuff by 2016ish. So really 25% of their total fuel will be alternative. Not too shabby I suppose.

My question is what is the flash point when it's blended with JP-5 instead of -8, and can you put it on a ship?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
My question is what is the flash point when it's blended with JP-5 instead of -8, and can you put it on a ship?

Good question. My next question is about vapor lock., the one after that is what (if any) fuel schedule adjustments are necessary for starting, accel, decel, etc.

Not too shabby I suppose.

Agreed... at the least it opens the door to one more option. Don't know about 50% of 2.4b gallons a year (that's a LOT of gas!) by six years from now, but at least this is opens the door- a bit.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I was thinking the grease trap at Wendy's, but yeah, that too.

That's all I need.... get out of a helo after 3+ hours in the saddle and the first thing I smell is french fries.... mmmmmmmm.... french fries!!!!!!!