• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Aviators in the War

Status
Not open for further replies.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Just a little background on myself before i ask the question. I am 1/C ROTC MIDN commissioning in may selected for SNA. I spent last summer at Lemoore and then DETed to Key West w/ VFA 122. WHileI was there i heard plenty of stories about what the strike fighter guys did over in IRAQ/AFGAN. I am curious as to what the experience of Navy pilots in other communites were (helos/props, ect) during the wars. WHat the op tempo was like, type of mssiions, was it fun/scary/hard?

Reactions: bch

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
illinijoe05 said:
Just a little background on myself before i ask the question. I am 1/C ROTC MIDN commissioning in may selected for SNA. I spent last summer at Lemoore and then DETed to Key West w/ VFA 122. WHileI was there i heard plenty of stories about what the strike fighter guys did over in IRAQ/AFGAN. I am curious as to what the experience of Navy pilots in other communites were (helos/props, ect) during the wars. WHat the op tempo was like, type of mssiions, was it fun/scary/hard?

Orion side...OEF...(maybe Eagle32 will post some good Orion OIF stories)

Op Tempo: First months of OEF: non stop. flying your ass off. signing high-flight time waivers monthly.

Missions: supporting ground guys. that's about all I'm gonna say. Very cool, very high speed stuff. Having 4 spec ops guys come and thank me (at the time a lowly LTJG) and my Navigator for our work with them was a pretty humbling experience.

I can't remember the details, but an Orion vectored an AC-130 in to take out some kind of patrol boat as well.

fun/scary/hard: my time was immediately after Sept 11. Everyone was charged up and ready to do whatever it took. many pucker moments, but great memories. To reiterate somethign that was said on here before (and I wish I could remember who said it) "getting shot at is highly overrated, it is not 'cool' ". this is true.

bottome line, every community is busting their respective a$$es, no matter where you end up, odds are you will "get some".

I'm too tired to go on. Webmaster...tell us a cool overland story...

Bevo16

pilot
HS squadrons flew a lot of NSW support missions early in the conflict. HS-14 had an actual Combat Search and Rescue mission (the flight lead won a bronze star). There were also quite a few VBSS (taking down ships) missions.

There is also an HCS squadron stationed in country right now that is 100% dedicated to supporting the SEALs and their missions.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I'm too tired to go on. Webmaster...tell us a cool overland story...
Operation Anaconda, ringside seat watching B52s reign steel from above.... hawkeye orbiting above us, 2 14s orbiting below us waiting for the call, AC130 down below that tearing stuff up, and then the 14s diving on in and clearing the way for the incoming skids.

I can only ditto what zab said. Everything we did MATTERED. I have never seen the pull across the board from everyone, all teams, making it happen. The maintainers putting more than 150% in to get the birds ready, the crews all working in concert to make our mission count. Fly, eat, sleep, workout, fly some more, sign a high time waiver. Can you say 186 flight hours in a 30 day period? The best flying I have ever done, the most I have ever felt as part of a team, and doing your upmost to save lives on the ground. The quote that hit me, from a specop guy "Predator is for the generals, Orion is for the ground troops". We did what we had to, bent NATOPS, flew at linger speed for god sakes and other corners pushing the airplane, to make the mission happen, and not let the ppl on the ground down.

Also, nothing more sobering than getting your evasion briefs and signing for your blood chit and weapon. Getting shot at in a 4 engine turboprop former civilian airliner is not cool, but we did what we had to, and I would do it again.

Never thought it would be something I would be involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.