• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Forrestal - ejection 1980 period - question

mike bennett

Dear Forum members,

Recently I was very fortunate to obtain many old issues of THE HOOK.
In the Summer 1980 issue there was the following article concerning an ejection

FORRESTAL OFFICERS SAVE RIO

LT David Hastings and LCDR Denny Bergo were recently awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for the role they played in a daring rescue that saved the life of an F‑4 RIO, Mike Foster, who's VF‑11 Phantom had crashed aboard Forrestal
The plane crashed on the fantail and came to rest at the number one wire. The crew, anticipating the crash, ejected prior to impact with the pilot landing in the water and pulled to safety by a helicopter from HS‑3. The RIO wasn't as fortunate. As he ejected the wind caught his parachute and Foster was pulled back towards the flaming wreckage.

Hastings and Bergo, serving as catapult officers, observed Foster being drug beneath the burning aircraft as his chute became entangled in the engine.

The two officers rushed to the scene with LT Hastings arriving first. After several unsuccessful attempts to pull Foster from under the plane Hastings noticed Bergo had arrived on the other side of the fire. Together, the two men were able to free the RIO, who weighed nearly 300 Ibs in his flight gear, and drag him from danger. Although injured, LTJG Foster has since recovered.

I have checked through my notes but cannot match this ejection.
The closest I have to this
21st September 1979 - LTJG J. M. Forster - USN Phantom

I believe that this is the same mishap and that the spelling og the RIO's name in my notes is in error.

I have Lt. Cdr.C. M. Lawler as the pilot.
I'm afraid I don't have the buno of the aircraft lost on this day nor any other information.

Can anyone please confirm the information I have and fill in any of the gaps, possibly you might have a crusie book from the period that has details of the ejection plus a photo of the RIO.
Thanks for reading this

With respect

Mike Bennett