• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 dual engine failure/comp stall

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
"POGO?" Sounds like an organization run out of someone's spare bedroom with voicemail and fax machine. Azmazing the press you can get by calling yourself a public advocate and having a nice letterhead.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Yeah, sounds like another group just trying to find any fault with the military. Especially with this aircraft, which seems to have its fair share or haters. Although flying into icing at 18k with no de-ice equipment would cause problems on any aircraft. I dont see too many of these flying at that kind of altitude anyhow given the mission.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I saw an MV-22 fly today at the fleet fly in at Whiting, its quite impressive. Didn't realize the engines and blades were so damn huge.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't think an Osprey would fly at 18,000 (or higher) on a logistics mission? Oh wait, pressurization.... hmm.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't know much specifically about the V-22, but aren't the engines just conventional turboprops? If so, it's not like this is new technology that hasn't already been proven on hundreds of types of operational military and civilian aircraft. I would guess that these guys don't know the first thing about aircraft systems and/or aviation in general.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
They are conventional turboprops, however the de-icing system seems to be incomplete. This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit VMMT-203 at MCAS New River and speak with some Osprey pilots. Not one of them expressed any reservations whatsoever with flying and feeling safe while flying the tilt-rotor. They regret that the aircraft has received so much undue negative press because of a few hiccups in the development process, which is to be expected with an unconventional aircraft of this sort.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
"POGO?" Sounds like an organization run out of someone's spare bedroom with voicemail and fax machine. Azmazing the press you can get by calling yourself a public advocate and having a nice letterhead.

Not sure about why they chose that acronym or whether they're right on this V-22 issue, but POGO is definitely NOT "run out of someone's spare bedroom with a voicemail and fax machine." I'd say they're generally taken pretty damn seriously in DC and Arlington.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
POGO is definitely NOT "run out of someone's spare bedroom with a voicemail and fax machine." I'd say they're generally taken pretty damn seriously in DC and Arlington.

May be, but any organization that so blatantly takes an incident like this one out of context (preproduction test aircraft without the anti icing the production aircraft will have/claiming it can't fly in the clouds/misrepresenting the actual engine abnormal condition) and sensationally exploits it, gets no respect from me.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
May be, but any organization that so blatantly takes an incident like this one out of context (preproduction test aircraft without the anti icing the production aircraft will have/claiming it can't fly in the clouds/misrepresenting the actual engine abnormal condition) and sensationally exploits it, gets no respect from me.

Either they know nothing about what they are talking about or they are knowingly exploiting their point to further they agenda to prevent the introduction of the V-22, no respect from me either...