• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VADM "Sweet Pea" Allen USN (ret), departing

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Final Sweetpea Story from the family

There is a young man in our church who made a dramatic turn-around in his life and joined the Marines. He came home this weekend and wanted to see dad. For the last 2 weeks, we've been reminding dad that this wonderful young man would be finishing basic and coming home soon. Dad couldn't wait to see him in his dress blues. After church today, the family called to asked if a visit would be okay. Of course, since dad has waited to see this fine young marine in his blues, we said yes. They arrived just in time. Although dad never opened his eyes, or acknowledged our Marine's presence, dad knew he was there. After our young Marine finished his visit, dad's hands turned purple, about the time the family reached the end of the driveway (we estimate), dad was gone, and the torch passed to the next generation of those who choose to defend our freedom.

HIGH FLIGHT
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds-and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and Hung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctitiy of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

On Sunday, May 24th, 2009 at 1:05PM
VADM Richard C. "Sweetpea" Allen, (USN, Ret.)
put out his hand, and took the hand of God.

We thank all of you for your love, support, and prayers. We have no doubt that these are what made the end peaceful, painless, and mercifully quick.

We love you all, and our blessings go with all of you.

Laura

Details on Service and Internment will be upcoming.

Vice Admiral Allen, an A-6 B/N, was Commander Naval Air Force Atlantic Fleet in 1994 when he was asked to approve the concept and then provide a single Tomcat to demonstrate a "turn-key" soultion to rapidly integrate the USAF LANTIRN Targeting Pod onto a F-14B Tomcat. He enthusiastically went against the ongoing tide from OPNAV and NAVAIR and authorized a VF-103 F-14B for that Rapid Protoyping initiative that gave the F-14 Tomcat Community and the A-6 Community orphans a new lease on life revitializing the Tomcat mission set for ten more years and saved it from early extinction. His key role in that crucial time resulted in creation of the VADM "Sweetpea" Allen Precision Strike Award that was presented annually thereafter.

He has been battling cancer for some time now, but that battle has now ended.