• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vectored-Thrust Ducted Fan for SH-60

Prashant Patel

I've looked online and did a search on airwarriors for any info on what happened to the Vectored-Thrust ducted fan that Piasecki was trying to install in a YSH-60. Last I heard they were making good progress, but that info is over 2 years old now. If it's viable, I'd like to see it put on 60's in my career lifetime.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
paddle562 said:
I've looked online and did a search on airwarriors for any info on what happened to the Vectored-Thrust ducted fan that Piasecki was trying to install in a YSH-60. Last I heard they were making good progress, but that info is over 2 years old now. If it's viable, I'd like to see it put on 60's in my career lifetime.
What would the point be?

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Making the helo faster.
Marginally faster, but at what cost? I imagine that you'd still have retreating blade limitation issues to contend with.

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
For the uninformed, what is a Vector-Thrust ducted fan?
And who is Piasecki?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Picture a ducted fan. Now picture it in place of a tail rotor. At low speeds, when countertorque is needed, the thrust is pushed to the side. As airspeed increases and less countertorque is req'd, the thrust is directed backwards to help push the helo. The speed increase is borderline, but it can get one close to 200 knots.

Piasecki is a helicopter company. It used to be one of the big manufacturers, but now it mostly makes components.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Um, yeah, I wouldn't count on it man. What with the new 60R and S upgrades coming on line.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Um, yeah, I wouldn't count on it man. What with the new 60R and S upgrades coming on line.
Concur. Proven airframe w/o any significant TR issues. Hard to justify the cost I would think.

Brett

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
Brett327 said:
Concur. Proven airframe w/o any significant TR issues. Hard to justify the cost I would think.

Brett

Especially since the current T/R provides 2.5% of the lift and helps counter the aft CG nature of the -60.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
HH-60H said:
For the uninformed, what is a Vector-Thrust ducted fan?
And who is Piasecki?

As a helo guy you need to know who Frank Piasecki is. Do a wiki search. He invented the Tandem rotor helicopter and was the main advocate for the Naval use of rotary wing aviation. He's a legend. Right there and equal to Igor. Period. End of discussion. Before developing the tandem helicopters for which he is known, Frank Piasecki built and flew the PV-2 single-rotor craft in 1943. A result of three years' research by his company, the P-V Engineering Forum, it had a three-bladed, 25-foot (7.6-meter) rotor and was 22 feet (6.7 meters) long.

HE4G4.jpg

August-Frontiers10044.jpg

His accomplishments are remarkable. Piasecki aircraft produced such famous workhorses as the HUP and the H-21

MYNV13P15_03.jpg

and

http://www.aerofiles.com/pia-H21.jpg

His ducted fan research on rotorcraft is extraordinary - ask any TPS grad and they will tell you it's doable. It's just getting past conventional thinking of Sikorsky and Bell/Boeing.
pia-16H1A.jpg

Piasecki aircraft became Vertol corp - the inventor of the CH-46 and CH-47 series. Vertol was later acquired by Boeing and became Boeing Helicopters.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, while interesting from a theoretical POV, there is no way in hell the Navy is going to buy something like that to retrofit its -60s. If they were going to use such a technology, it would be incorporated into a future design.

Brett

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Brett327 said:
Again, while interesting from a theoretical POV, there is no way in hell the Navy is going to buy something like that to retrofit its -60s. If they were going to use such a technology, it would be incorporated into a future design.

Brett

AGree - I think between NAVAIR and ONR, they wantto preserve the brain-trust on these technologies and just further the research. Which is a worthy thing to spend budget dollars on.

I doubt you would ever see this in production anytime soon.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
My take on it is:

The Vectored-Thrust Ducted Fan wouldn't produce all that good of a benefit on an already built aircraft. For it to truly be effective it would need to be designed on a completely new platform so that it could be optimized to fly at a faster speed. I.E. The X-wing concepts and whatever the hell Boeing is looking into.

Added to that, the strike at Sikorsky would keep lots of new (bizare) ideas from coming to light. Plus it has to get funded from somewhere. Sikorsky is putting similar kind of funding into the X-Wing project. So it comes down to what will the gov't pay for and what can the gov't be convinced of.

My 2 centences.

Kobyra