• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Venezulan Flankers

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Crazy thought... but did we ever consider buying ourselves some FSU fighters to send to Fallon or the VFC squadrons?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......good idea. Maybe somebody really smart would have thought of that and done it a long time ago. Of course, that would probably be classified, so I have no idea.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
when i first saw the title of this post, i thought it said, "Venezuelan Wankers", but then I looked closer, read the article, and realized that "Wankers" would be more appropriate.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We did do a trade study in 1993 to look at putting the real deal into an Adversary role. At the time Navy still had active and reserve Adversary Squadrons flying A-4, F-5, F-16 and F/A-18 (F-21 Kfir lease was used by Navy initially at Oceana with VF-43 and then by VMFT-401 at Yuma...the lease of aircraft was a great deal but but the O&M was outrageous so Navy send them back early). As much as we tried, we couldn't make the numbers work. The operational support side of using either Flanker or Fulcrums was a deal breaker. Nothing comes close to the A-4 or F-5 in generating Adversary presentations and cost and readiness levels of the Soviet designed aircraft couldn't come close. As it was, the Adversary community was under the gun anyway and VF-126, VFA-127, VF-45 and VF-43 were deactivated in favor of reserve units (VFC-12 and 13) picking up the load with existing aircraft (F/A-18A and F-5E respectively).