• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vfa 22

badger16

None
Does anyone know if there is truth to VFA-22 transitioning to the F model rhino and giving the E models to VFA-31 now that they are done with the tomcat? I found it online somewhere and was wondering if someone could verify it for me. thanks.

snake020

Contributor
Yes it's true, I confirmed it through my girlfriend's brother's best friend's acquaintance who is in the A-pool.

badger16

None
Yes it's true, I confirmed it through my girlfriend's brother's best friend's acquaintance who is in the A-pool.

Wow...that makes me feel so much better...nothing like hearing it straight from the horses mouth...:icon_tong (great post silversnake,and if its the truth thanks alot)

badger16

None
Fly, just curious but what squadron are you in. 122 or 106...i see from your profile you are in the RAG. how close are you to a regular squadron? I also see you are going to the boat soon. good luck to you.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
FWIW I did my 1st class cruise this summer w/ -22 and it is most definitely true according to their CO/XO. I think I remember the XO saying that the first -F's will be there sometime early next year. And yes, I believe you are correct that the E's will be going to VF-31 once their Tomcats are gone; a couple of the pilot's were saying that.

navyao

I was going to say why not give the F's to VFA-31, they've already got FAC(A) qual'd crews and RIO's/WSO's, but I suppose AIRPAC needs another squadron equiped with the F mod on the West Coast.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was going to say why not give the F's to VFA-31, they've already got FAC(A) qual'd crews and RIO's/WSO's, but I suppose AIRPAC needs another squadron equiped with the F mod on the West Coast.

I was wondering the same thing myself

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
care to ellaborate on what may have influenced this decision?

It's a complex issue, one which should probably be addressed by someone in the community. Airwings need the right mix of squadrons and the S-3 issue has to be factored into that as well. Not all the F-14 squadrons are converting to F models - thats driven by the number of each type of aircraft that have been purchased, among other things. My main point is that big decisions like that almost never have anything to do with an individual squadron, its members, or aircrew quals. Most importantly, they almost never make any sense to the untrained eye. The Navy will change homeports, airwings, and other seemingly drastic things to make the big picture work. They have to worry about work-up and deployment schedules on a grand scale with every carrier and airwing in mind. In that light, getting a squadron up to speed for CAS/FAC(A) is chump change.

Brett

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?

Since -213 already has transitioned to F's, CVW-8 has their one F-Rhino Unit (Although, CVW-3 is going Rhino crazy with 11,32,105 now). VFA-31 fills the E model hole. Last I heard, 31's RIOs go to the Redcocks (How sweet it is to be a Redcock...You get brand spankin' new jets while -31 gets old(ish) single seaters with a few thousand hours on em).