• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video technical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
For the past couple months I’ve been in the market for a camcorder, in order to make some of those “Holly Molly look at me” videos. So far it looks like the digital 8 format will give me the most flexibility – is the 8mm tape fleet standard, or are there other aircraft using different kinds of tapes?

Anybody else have any experience with converting HUD tapes to PC, or with helmet cams, etc…

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Hornet VTR's use 8mm, but the tapes themselves are classified secret & are kept in a safe, checked out when you go fly. to copy video from them requires approval, which is a redass .... i did it once in the RAG after doing a low-level pop sortie, but it was a hassle to get approval, not to much the redass of having to scrub the video of any classified footage (such as LAR's, etc)

helmet cams are pretty cool ...i know a couple dudes who use them. i plan on getting one, as soon as i can save up enough allowance money that my wife gives me ...

S/F

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
You need a camcorder that has an audio/video input so that it can record. Then the cam will plug-in.

Rather than buyin the VTR, you can get an 8mm camcorder form $150-500, which should come with all the links to your computer. Then the helmet cam will go for another 3 to 5 bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.