• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vietnamese Pilot Carrier Landing

dilbert123

pilot
http://www.vnafmamn.com/flight_freedom.html

A buddy of mine sent this link with this message:

"My brother-in-law was in the "control tower" when this happened. He said the pilot flew around the ship 5 times throwing something out when the note finally stayed on the deck. The captain was making slow right turns to smooth out the water hoping the pilot would land in the water and they would get him out using a helicopter. When the note was finally received telling of his wife and 5 kids on board, the captain turned the carrier into the wind, moved the helicopters and allowed him to land on the deck."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That plane's in the hangar at the USS Midway Museum in San Diego.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Check that--according to the article it's in Florida. I'll have to check if the one I saw was a replica, or whether they moved the original.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IIRC, the original is in the Pensacola museum.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Reminds me of a thread on another aviation forum that Bunk, Hacker, and myself all visit. Guy used this to justify the notion that tailhook aviators don't have any special skills, and that any private pilot could easily land on the boat. Had a good laugh at that one.....guy turned out to be a disgruntled former AF tower controller who didn't like military pilots.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of a thread on another aviation forum that Bunk, Hacker, and myself all visit. Guy used this to justify the notion that tailhook aviators don't have any special skills, and that any private pilot could easily land on the boat. Had a good laugh at that one.....guy turned out to be a disgruntled former AF tower controller who didn't like military pilots.

Because I'm sure landing an O-1 on a carrier is the same as landing a jet. I think the difference in approach speeds is greater than the Vne for the O-1