• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vision for non-pilots?

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Searched through a bunch of the vision-related posts, but all of the gouge I could find is for people who want to be in a plane.

I am applying SWO and have questions about the vision requirements. I have never worn glasses, but I know my left is much worse than my right. I am not blind in it or anything, but really have to strain to read a page in front of me if my right eye is closed. I guess I am pretty right-eye dominant and it has never really caused any problems for me having worse vision in my left eye. If I do end up with a pro-rec in a month or two, would this be something that would DQ me at MEPS? If so, would it be better to go to a doctor and get glasses before I do my physical? I know those who wear glasses get some pretty sweet ones at OCS, but I was hoping to avoid those things.

thanks for any info - hope I didn't miss this stuff in a previous thread.

andrew

navy09

None
You should be fine. I went in for my commissioning physical (SWO) and found out I need glasses- my vision is about 20/40. I just got glasses and went back to get re-tested with the glasses on and I passed. No big deal.

You might find this helpful.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/sanfrancisco/opo/general-information.htm

They're just basic guidelines, but my eyes were a big problem for me. Most positions outside of pilots just require your vision to be correctable to 20/20. At MEPS they have you run some vision tests, some of them you can only use one eye for it. If you fail miserably like I did, they bring you upstairs to see an optometrist, and you sit in the chair and do the "tell me which is clearer, number 1? or number 2? number 1. number 2."

There are a few other factors like refraction and astigmatism, but I think you're well within the limits.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
appreciate all the info so far. I just got back form a trip to the optometrist and was told I have mild strabismic amblyopia in my left eye. From what I understand, it basically means my eyes alignment are slightly off and my brain does not like to use my left eye very much. Because of this, my depth perception is less than ideal, but not completely absent.

Here is my concern - any insight would be greatly appreciated. My right eye is 20/20, but my left eye is 20/40. The doc told me though that because of the amblyopia, glasses wouldn't really do anything for me and my left eye is not correctable to 20/20. However, with both eyes open, I see 20/20.

According to http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/sanfrancisco/opo/general-information.htm vision must be correctable to 20/20 for SWO and waivers are not considered. So my question is do both eyes have to be correctable to 20/20, or is it good enough to have 20/20 with both eyes open?

Here's to hoping my dream doesn't get shot down before I even hear about a pro-rec.

I have no depth perception whatsoever, but it's not needed for non-pilots. I have read however that each eye needs to be correctable to 20/20. I would try anyway though. Think about it this way, the worst thing that can happen is that they say "no."

I had a civilian eye exam and I was borderline on that one, but they told me only the MEPS eye exam matters, so if the MEPS doctor says you're good then you're good so you should definitely continue the application process. I'm not sure if they would issue a waiver but definitely ask, and be ready to answer why you deserve one :)

Did the doctor say glasses only? What about contact lenses or eye surgery?

pmasters

If your vision is 20/20 20/40 you don't have anything to worry about. Thats my vision (although I actually tested slightly worse, like 20/60 at MEPS) and it was not an issue, no optometrist or anything of the sort. As echoed, you can have REALLY bad vision and still be a SWO so you're free and clear as far as eyesight goes.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
I have no depth perception whatsoever, but it's not needed for non-pilots. I have read however that each eye needs to be correctable to 20/20. I would try anyway though. Think about it this way, the worst thing that can happen is that they say "no."

I had a civilian eye exam and I was borderline on that one, but they told me only the MEPS eye exam matters, so if the MEPS doctor says you're good then you're good so you should definitely continue the application process. I'm not sure if they would issue a waiver but definitely ask, and be ready to answer why you deserve one :)

Did the doctor say glasses only? What about contact lenses or eye surgery?

Doc said glasses/contacts/surgery wouldn't do anything to help. I guess it has more to do with my brain not wanting to use the eye than the eye itself. Just have to hope Pmasters is right and they will let me slide through with 20/40 in one eye.

thanks for the help all.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
OK so one last question about vision...

I made it through MEPS, but I know it is just because the woman giving me the test really helped me out and said she corrected my left eye when I know I was missing a bunch of letters. My civilian optometrist confirmed my vision in my left eye is 20/40 and not correctable to 20/20 (right eye is 20/20). Today, I stumbled on this http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/Files/Media/mmd/Chap15_MANMED_CHANGE_126.pdf which in article 15-36 states that for entry into the URL, applicants must have vision correctable to 20/20 each eye.

so my question is, do non-aviators (I was pro-rec'd SWO) have to take another vision test when they report to OCS? Maybe I am just worrying too much, but I would hate to drop out of grad school and move out of my apt just to get to Newport to get the boot.

nombrescreeno

OK so one last question about vision...

I made it through MEPS, but I know it is just because the woman giving me the test really helped me out and said she corrected my left eye when I know I was missing a bunch of letters. My civilian optometrist confirmed my vision in my left eye is 20/40 and not correctable to 20/20 (right eye is 20/20). Today, I stumbled on this http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/Files/Media/mmd/Chap15_MANMED_CHANGE_126.pdf which in article 15-36 states that for entry into the URL, applicants must have vision correctable to 20/20 each eye.

so my question is, do non-aviators (I was pro-rec'd SWO) have to take another vision test when they report to OCS? Maybe I am just worrying too much, but I would hate to drop out of grad school and move out of my apt just to get to Newport to get the boot.

So what happens is that your recruiter will upload your MEPS info and any other medical documents and it will get reviewed. I wasn't correctable in one of my eyes when I went through MEPS (and my eye doctors handwriting made 20/20 look like 20/25, so I was actually correctable to 20/20) and the letter I got back said that I was waivered for unrestricted line, restricted line, and staff corps no problem so I'll bet you are fine.

Granted, it was 20/25 not correctable to 20/40 so I don't know if it applies to you, but I bet for any non-aviation job you're fine, especially if one of your eyes does 20/20 fine.

I didn't see any mention of amblyopia or strabismus in the document so I think you'll be okay. I know it's DQ for aviation but you're going SWO so I think it'll be fine