• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

volunteer work while in API/Primary

torpedo0126

Is there any sort of volunteer work that I can participate in while in API/Primary that doesn't require say a year long commitment (i.e. Big Brother)? I am sure there is plenty of stuff out there, but being relatively new to the area I have no idea where to look.

Thanks for the help.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you like getting your hands dirty, you can help restore old airplanes in the restoration hangar behind the museum. You get to work on some cool old planes with a lot of former naval aviators. Plus, you can get some very basic leadership experience. They have about 40 or so E-1s/E-2s working there too, and the volunteer ensigns get to oversee their work. It was a good experience, I got credit for 200 hrsish of volunteer work in the month I was there.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
If you like getting your hands dirty, you can help restore old airplanes in the restoration hangar behind the museum. You get to work on some cool old planes with a lot of former naval aviators. Plus, you can get some very basic leadership experience. They have about 40 or so E-1s/E-2s working there too, and the volunteer ensigns get to oversee their work. It was a good experience, I got credit for 200 hrsish of volunteer work in the month I was there.
That's cool as hell! I wish I would've known about this, when we lived at NASP (twice). I can use an arc welder with the best of them!

eta- NMCRS and Fleet and Family ALWAYS need volunteers. Give them a call and see what you can do for your fellow sailor.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Talk to an LT in flight management if they've got a second. They always have requests for warm bodies, and not all of them require a huge investment in time, or are necessarily stash jobs. They had something going on with reading to kids out in town a couple hours a week at different schools when I went thru.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
There is also Habitat for Humanity, one of my personal favorites. You can get contact information for your area via there website.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Is there any sort of volunteer work that I can participate in while in API/Primary that doesn't require say a year long commitment (i.e. Big Brother)? I am sure there is plenty of stuff out there, but being relatively new to the area I have no idea where to look.

Thanks for the help.

Check with the Chaplain's Office; if they don't know, they could at least direct you to who would know.

I'm sure that any of the schools would love to have someone available for tutoring.

Check with the various youth sports leagues - there is always a need for things like setting up fields, timekeeping, being an assistant coach (or coach if you can make a long enough commitment.)

If you attend a local church there will be various organizations they support with volunteer time.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
NASC actually had an, and assume they still do, agreement with a local elementary school. You can see the actual school by looking below the "through these doors..." sign in the front of the building.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
If you want something aviation related...

EAA Young Eagles
Civil Air Patrol (laugh all you want:D)
Angel Flight

All of these organizations are aviation related and are based all around the country, so if you want to stick with them throughout your career you can.

torpedo0126

thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for something on the weekend for an hour or two so hopefully i can find something that fits.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Drinking beer for a few hours would be good on the weekends or maybe sharing a beer with some homeless dudes.....a fluffer at Sammy's might be considered volunteer.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Volunteer with the local fire department. Even if you don't have the time to become a firefighter/EMT, most would still be more than happy to have a helping hand around the barn to help maintain the trucks and equipment, keep the place clean, and you could probably do tons of ride a longs.