• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VS-31 Cruise Video

FLY_USMC

pilot
It's amazing how hours of studying, briefing, fun, concentrating, sweating, nerves, arse pain, practicing, lectures, and danger put to music looks like total dicking off. Sweet video.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
How can you not have a soft spot in your heart for a jet with windshield wipers and boom mics?

HA! I agree...such a nice aircraft and its sad to say goodbye. :( But it was a great video. I loved the part with the pacman game...classic.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
HA! I agree...such a nice aircraft and its sad to say goodbye. :( But it was a great video. I loved the part with the pacman game...classic.
Cruising with the LANTIRN and PACMAN(Ms.) upgrades...must have been nice! Solid Topcat product!

robav8r

None
Contributor
Great squadron - had the honor of being a "Topcat" from 1997-1999. BTW - they are disestablishing next month (March '08). I'm hearing the "festivities" promise to be very entertaining . . . .
;)

robav8r

None
Contributor
As an NFO? Or an FAW?

I'll refer to myself as a "hybrid" back then. AW LDO - was NATOPS qualified as a SENSO. Got some great front seat time though at Fallon and the entire fly-off from the John C. Stennis maiden deployment off the coast of San Diego all the way back to Jacksonville. Good times !!!

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I'll refer to myself as a "hybrid" back then. AW LDO - was NATOPS qualified as a SENSO.

Please forgive my ignorance of this "status". As an LDO did you fly as a SENSO? If so, was that because of a shortage of AW's? If not, did you fly as TACCO then? What kind of billets were AW LDO's supposed to fill?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How can you not have a soft spot in your heart for a jet with windshield wipers and boom mics?

That wiper was a bomb sight to any War Hoover pilot worth his salt. And the boom mic... the Blues fly with a boom mic, the only other TACAIR guys I'm aware of with the boom mic waiver.;)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Please forgive my ignorance of this "status". As an LDO did you fly as a SENSO? If so, was that because of a shortage of AW's? If not, did you fly as TACCO then? What kind of billets were AW LDO's supposed to fill?

Back when VS squadrons still retained the PMA of ASW, Aviation Operations Limited Duty Officers and Chief Warrant Officers (632X/732X) were typically assigned to operations billets such as Assistant Operations Officer, Training Officer, AW Division Officer, etc. They (we) were also assigned in a DIFOPS status which meant we flew and were required to maintain a current NATOPS check. Because we were prior AW's, obtaining a SENSO qualification only made sense. After logging 200 hours of flight time (as an officer) and maintaining NATOPS currency, you were eligible for designation as a Naval Aviation Observer (NAO). (BTW - the breast insignia worn before the NFO designation in 1968 - I think !!!).

pn-obsrv.gif

Joe Kaposi

I can't see a video link here. I collect cruise video's, as an Aussie they are very hard to get. Anyone with any should hit me up for a trade.