• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waivers for Asthma- Prozac

RKPT

Hi,
I'm a college junior majoring in physics trying to get into Navy OCS. Recently I've come accross all the disqualifying medical conditions including asthma and and antidepressant drugs. The recruiter I talked with seemed to think the asthma wouldnt get in the way since it hasnt bothered me in years, and I run varsity track here at school without any problems whatsoever. However about a year ago I was on Prozac for around 4-5 months. I'm sure I won't have a problem getting my doctor to provide documentation atesting to the fact that there is nothing wrong with me, but I've heard form some people the Navy gets very sticky with this sort of thing. Does anyone know anything about it...gone through something similar? I've also heard that after a year you can get a waiver? Any info would be terrific.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Yes you can get asthma waivered, there are quite a few threads on here, just do a search and you should be able to find everything that you need.

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
I was warned before I went to meps to be careful about what you reveal to the Doc, it could get tougher to get in. But hiding those things could come back to Haunt you.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Yeah, I have the same problem with the asthma part. I'm only a senior in high school but getting ready maybe for NROTC. I just recently talked to a guy that is applying for OCS and went through MEPS. He said that they sat them all down and told them that you have to list everything on there and if you don't there will be some problems. He said that you could get kicked out and can't join the military what so ever and if you get through them but have a hick up later in your career, there could be problems if they go back and get your medical records. Now I have also been told when I was asking questions about asthma and the military that what momma doesn't know won't hurt them. Take that as it is, its huge risk that only you can decide so try and talk to other people who have had waivers for asthma and who have gotten by without even saying anything about their history of asthma. Good luck.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gents, this question or ones like it have been addressed many times on the forum, but as a currently serving Naval Aviator and Officer to those who still aspire, a word of advice. If you are thinking seriously about hiding anything, you would be well advised to seek other employment. What's next? Do you hide the fact that you lost a piece of classified info? Jet off to the other coast without taking leave because you think you won't get caught?

The name of the game is INTEGRITY. If you can't be trusted to be forthcoming now, it does not show favorably on your ability to be trusted with a multi-million or -billion dollar asset or the infinitely more valuable lives of the enlisted sailors you will be asked to lead. The military will let you do some amazing things, but it is not repeat NOT in the business of making your dreams come true. The reason you will be bounced if it is discovered that you lied on your application is as much a lack of trust as the medical disqualification you are attempting to conceal. Think of it this way. If you can't be trusted to honestly complete the first paperwork of your military career, what else are you going to fudge? If you mess up, FESS UP.

I could continue the rant, but let's just say your best course of action is to be forthcoming, take what's given to you and hope for the best. I understand your concern; I was worried about the NAMI whammy at one time also. But waivers exist for a reason, too.

Fetter

I agree, use integrity when it comes to MEPS. Last I checked, I have the mildest case of asthma, but no symptoms since I was probably 10 years old or so until I took the methacholine challenge test (the deciding factor to get a waiver) a couple months ago. Failed it. I used to run eight miles every other day (no symptoms of asthma) while I was in high school jrotc, but now that I'm in college and not in such a program, I haven't kept up with the running. I'm going to try and strengthen my lungs and go back for the test again. If I fail, then I'm going to have to be a civilian pilot; thats all there is to it. I've wanted to be a naval aviator since I was eight years old, but I'm not going to lie about a condition if there is any chance that it might interfere with my success in the Navy. I don't want to get dishonorably discharged and not have a chance at getting employed in the civilian aviation community and I sure as hell don't want to put anyone's life at risk...say I actually had an asthma attack in combat. It really sucks when you are borderline with the diagnosis in the first place though. I know everyone says that it doesn't matter how much you contition yourself, the methacholine challenge will turn up the same results every time, but I'm not giving up just yet.

Fetter

What?

You either have integrity or you do not. Integrity is not something you pull out of your back pocket when the need arrises.

Let me elaborate...

When you are filling out papers or asked about your medical conditions at MEPS, remember that your integrity is on the line there. If you are a person with integrity, you will be completely honest with them.

I don't know how else to put it so someone doesn't go off on a tangent.
If it would appease your sensibilities that I edit my post to "have integrity at MEPS," since the word "use" doesn't work for you, I'd be glad to do so.