• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to fly....Bad....?

cavpilot58d

Hello and greetings. Let me tell you about how I became a pilot and hopefully I will be able to help you. I will be brief and if you have any questions, either e-mail me or PM me. If it could help anyone else, I will post it.

We all have had the dream to fly and I can say that here I am 35 years old, failed my flight physical, YET I AM a pilot. I grew up in Tuskegee, AL and of course met plenty of Tuskegee Airmen (I have a uncle who is a decorated Tuskegee Airmen and retired Lt Col). My first flight was with Chief Alfred Anderson (read the story about how he became a pilot), the African American who took Eleanor Roosevelt on a flight which helped begin open the door for minority aviators. Ever since that flight, I always wanted to fly, but my parents didn't have the money.
I got older, went to college, drank, partied, chased women and after 3 years of wasting my time, I decided I needed a little direction and joined the Air Force as a crewchief. My plan was to work my way up to become a flying crew dog, then a flight engineer while I finished my degree. Once I finished, I planned to apply for OTS, get a pilot slot and compete for fighters. However, life at that point had other plans. I went through a divorce (not ashamed to publicly admit it) and during that time, my mother died. I actually gave up being a crew chief to take an assignment at a base that was close to home to be with her last year of life. After that, there was no way I was mentally ready to complete my degree. By the time I got myself together, I wouldn't be able to complete my degree in time.
Nevertheless, I finished my degree to include a Masters, but I still wanted to fly. The air force told me no ( I was 32). I talked to an Air Force Major who told me to try to go to the Army and see if they would give me a age waiver. I could fly for them and once I did my time, if I like the Army, I could stay. If I didn't I could apply for Air Force, Navy or Coast Guard and there would be no age limit since I was already a military pilot. I would attend a fixed wing qualification course and then advanced aircraft training.
So I went to the Army and they told me no. But one night I felt like God awaken me and told me "DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER". That next morning, I got up, got on the internet and happen to find an e-mail address to a person who has been a blessing in my life. I told him my story and that I would need an age waiver. He told me to send him my information and he would see what he could do. Well of course I got the age waiver, got to my commission, went to flight school and here I am.
There is more, but I will rap it up for now by saying I like the Army guard. They have been great. Would I leave it to fly fighters? heck yes, who wouldn't. I still do have that dream, but the Army is some fun flying and with the Navy and AF either downsizing or getting rid of pilots, you should give the Army a try. Ask me anything you want. I am here to help.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me tell you about how I became a pilot and hopefully I will be able to help you. I will be brief and if you have any questions, either e-mail me or PM me. If it could help anyone else, I will post it....
Welcome to the forum.
Please just post your questions here to begin with rather than PMing them.

Would I leave it to fly fighters? heck yes, who wouldn't I still do have that dream,
It's okay I understand...

...but the Army is some fun flying and with the Navy and AF either downsizing or getting rid of pilots, you should give the Army a try.

Not 100% true. We're still buying F/A-18E/Fs and currently developing the F-35C for the Navy. No real trend to get rid of pilots in the Navy that I know of. So our future is looking okay.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Not 100% true. We're still buying F/A-18E/Fs and currently developing the F-35C for the Navy. No real trend to get rid of pilots in the Navy that I know of. So our future is looking okay.

Very true. Production numbers have actually gone up for 2007 for both Navy and Marines.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
The Army is a great opportunity to fly for those who might not be otherwise be eligible for military wings. However, the Army gets their pound of flesh in that most (if not all) Army duty stations are located in the armpits of the country, and the multiple year(plus) OCONUS deployments make even the choicest aircraft assignment hard to swallow for a pilot, and more importantly his/her families.

In short, the Army's quality of life doesn't compare with the sister services. yes, the Army is very liberal about it's waiver policies. There's a reason for that...it's getting very difficult to keep Army cockpits adequately manned. If it seems too good to be true...

As long as an aspiring Army aviator knows the pros and cons at the onset, it can be a rewarding career.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In short, the Army's quality of life doesn't compare with the sister services....There's a reason for that...it's getting very difficult to keep Army cockpits adequately manned. If it seems too good to be true...
I blame it on having to say "hooah" all the time. :D

BRM21o

the Army gets their pound of flesh in that most (if not all) Army duty stations are located in the armpits of the country, and the multiple year(plus) OCONUS deployments make even the choicest aircraft assignment hard to swallow for a pilot, and more importantly his/her families.

He's doing Army Guard though....good deal or no?

plc67

pilot
Stearman, what you say is true. However, I believe this gentleman is in the
be Guard which gives you a post in your local area after you complete flight school. Unlike my time in the Guard, it seems now you will be called upon to supplement your active duty bretheren so that may sour the deal.
As an aside, I loved flying the Hook, although I"ll bet yours maxes out above the A models 33,000 pound max. If you guys get unbelieveably hard up I'll be available in July 2008. I've given up on the Blue Angels.

cavpilot58d

Yes I am in the guard. The Army guard is a good deal and the Active Army quality of life is increasing. Fort Rucker is an awesome base and there is a big push to revamp housing as well as quality of life on all Army post.

Why did I post all of this? I feel I owe it to those who for one reason or another didn't get that shot at fulfilling a dream. Sometimes life isn't fair; sometimes we even shoot ourselves in the foot. Nevertheless, a dream is a dream no matter what.

Sure, I would love to be in a fighter unit (hint, hint) and if you know of one that would be interested in someone like me, please let me know. It is still my dream. But the Army is a great option. I used to look down at the Army, but after being amongst the men in green, I have the utmost respect for each and every soldier (well, almost all). And let’s face it, flying something is better than flying nothing. I may never get a chance to pull G's or land on a carrier. But how many can say they got a chance to fly an armed aircraft while shooting a machine-gun, rockets and tank busting hellfire missiles? Or how about shooting an M-4 out the window? Flying full power right above the treetops at night under NVG's is a rush let me tell you. And I get PAID to do this!!!!! You could offer me a slot to fly the C-130, C-9, KC-135 and I would tell you no thank you. Flying rotary guns is fun.

This post is not for the 20-27 year old guy who did what they needed to do to deserve the slot. This is for the guy who just can't get being a military pilot out of his system. What I did gave me a world of options I wouldn't have had being over 30. I can stay Army, or if a fighter slot opened up and they wanted an "old" guy like me, they could take me. It would take an act of God to get in a fighter unit, but no regs would prevent it. But again, the Army Guard is a great place to fly and we need pilots, good pilots.

Stearmann4

None
Actually, I think the Guard and Army Reserves are the biggest screw job going these days. The guard used to be the best deal going before 9-11. Now, they deploy as much (or more),are expected to accomplish the same taskings with habitually less training and resources than their AD counter parts. Worse, is that they aren't (yet) afforded the same incentives (read: bonus) and retirement benefits as AD pilots. This is a screw job if I've ever heard of one. Most if not all the kids that go to flight school in the Guard/reserves are expecting the weekend warrior gig, not a two-year activiation, 16 month deployment, followed by a year home and another deployment. Now the Army is trying to approve a 4-year activation for the reserves. If you like it that much, go active duty and at least get all the benefits you're entitled to.

I have the utmost respect for Guard and reserve pilots. They've actually got some of the most experienced aviators around, but it's just not a good deal these days. Obviously I speak in general terms, but overall, the future looks pretty bleak (my opinion only)for high-demand platforms in the guard/reserves.

My big, black, bus maxes out at 54K, combat configured with full (5 hrs) tanks, leaves about a 12K for cargo.

We actually had a couple of Navy and USMC pilots assess for the unit recently. They turned in their LT/CPT bars for CW2, and will even get the 25K bonus when they get out of their aircraft transition. Even a couple of guys came out of Guard units. Expansion is a beautiful opportunity.

cavpilot58d

You got a lot of good points there. The army has some cons. But check this out. You got guys on this site who take NFO jobs when they know they want to fly. Nothing wrong with being an NFO. But if you have a choice to fly and be recognized as a pilot or fly NFO.........its your call. I thought about NFO (which seems fun), but I am glad I became a pilot. Im just saying that for those who have one strike against them (age), otherwise, they would be a GREAT candidate, they may want to look at the Army.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This whole thread seems bizarre and disjointed to me. What is its purpose?

Brett

Stearmann4

None
Brett,

Always the pessimist of the forum...its supposed to make you want to join the Army!