• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War College

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Who goes? When do they go? I can see at NWC at least, there are three departments (Strategy and Policy, Joint Military Operations, and National Security Decision Making), but what does actual course of study consist of?

Just curious. Lots to be read / said about TPS here, but not so much on the strategic end of military higher education.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
OK, June 2002 graduate of NWC here. Some of my info may be a little old but in the ball park.

NWC consists of two schools for US students (there are also two equivalent schools for foreign officers but I won't discuss them). There is the College of Naval Command and Staff (CNCS). This is aimed at the O-4 level. Most students are post DH O-4's with a few pre-DH folks (I went before my DH tour). You can also attend as an O-3 who has been selected for O-4. The other schools is College of Naval Warfare (CNW) which is aimed at the O-5 post command level.

Each college runs through the three semesters. JMO is a little longer for CNCS and NSDM is a little longer for CNW. I will go through each semester in turn.

S&P is Strategy and Policy. Basically how nations fight wars. It is pretty much a war a week for 13 weeks or so. Two lectures a week and one seminar. Not much class time but there is a lot of reading. Average is 600 pages a week. You will write four (I wrote 4) 8 page papers on various wars. These get discussed in your weekly seminars. (3-4 students have papers every week).

JMO is Joint Military Operations. How to fight a war. CNCS students get this a little heavier due to the fact that O-4's wil be staff planners. Basically, seminar every day, some exams, a 15 page paper and a planning exercise/war week at the end of the semester.

NSDM is National Security Decision Making. Basically force structure and policy issues. Think Pentagon stuff. Good for O-5's. Class every day, tests and two shorter papers.

You also take one elective every semester that can coverage a range of topics from the other services to the media to foreign relations.

Overall, it was a great year. If you get a B average or higher, you get a degree in National and Strategic Studies. Getting an A is hard, getting a C is harder. I had a good time there and learned a lot. Definitely renewed my interest in history as well.

Hope this info helps. Also check out www.nwc.navy.mil for more info.