• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviator4000

How many of you guys are hardcore weightlifters. I myself dread running, but know it is a fundamental part of Marine Corps training. I love to hit the weights and no girlie machines, I'm talking free weights. Of all you weightlifters how many are pressing at least 405lbs? What about max squats, deadlifts, etc.? I know I can't be the only weightlifter on this board, for God sake this is the USMC. Just a bit curious, cause I know that a lot of people max their pull ups (I can max mine). Usually it takes a long time to get your pull up reps. that high, so I am assuming that most 20 pull up guys are weightlifters.

Of those of you that hit the weights what are your routines?

Mine is:

Saturday: Chest
Sunday: Back
Monday: Shoulders
Tuesday: All Cardio
Wednesday: Guns
Thursday: Legs
Friday: All Cardio

On my chest and back days I hit Tri's and Bi's a little bit. I also throw some cardio in too, though not as much as I do on Tuesday and Friday. I used to go Back and Bi's, Chest and Tri's, Legs with shoulders mixed in on back and chest days. I found this new routine to be more effective than my older routine.

mpj_3050

I hit the weights real hard before I left 29 Palms and was up to a 305 bench. I got hurt and had top take it easy for awhile but I am getting back into it. My arms and back are strong as hell, but the shoulders and the chest are lacking a little bit. Best thing is my upper body is like 5 times stronger than it was before I left for boot camp at Parris Island 2 years ago so PLC this summer will be much better in that aspect.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I was doing a 6 day split before I broke my finger last fall.
M/W/F - Back/Chest - Legs in the Evening
T/Th/Sat - Shoulders/Arms

W/ lots of cardio mixed in at all different times.

After I broke my finger though I had a lot of time to consider where I wanted to go when I healed (as all I could do for those 2-3 months was run), and I decided to cut down and pretty much do nothing but pullups/pushups/dips and other body weight exercises for awhile.

There are a lot of big azz Marines who are farking huge (some are juicing unfortunately), but they can't hump a ruck.

I think physical fitness in the Marine Corps is better measured in terms of how well you can handle your own bodyweight: strength, muscular and cardio endurance, balance, flexibility.

Pags

N/A
pilot
While not a Marine, I try to hit the gym at least 5x a week, and run everyday as well. I was never a fan of lifting huge amounts of weight, so I've lately been doing a lot of body weight exercises and lower weight/high rep stuff to ease my boredom.

KBayDog

Aviator4000 said:
I know I can't be the only weightlifter on this board, for God sake this is the USMC. Just a bit curious, cause I know that a lot of people max their pull ups (I can max mine). Usually it takes a long time to get your pull up reps. that high, so I am assuming that most 20 pull up guys are weightlifters.

1. Enough of the ego. Nobody is impressed.
2. This is not the USMC. This is AirWarriors.
3. I can max my pullups too - hooray for me.
4. Don't assume anything. Most 20-pullup guys are guys that work on their pullups. Some are meatheads and others are 110# soaking wet.

Do yourself a favor and work on your running, no matter how much you dread it. You're right - it is a fundamental part of USMC training. It would be safe to say that cardiovascular conditioning is imperative, regardless of the activity, especially in entry-level training. If you can't run, you will get smoked at OCS and TBS.

There is nothing wrong with hitting the gym; just make sure you have a balanced physical fitness routine (and no, doing "circuit training" at the gym is not enough). Also, do some research on the supplements you may/may not be taking (not GNC research - research as to what you can/cannot take while you are in the Corps).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Impressed ??? My wife can do 25 pull-ups .... no joke. But I can't ..... :censored_ smiley ....

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Impressed ??? My wife can do 25 pull-ups .... no joke. But I can't ..... :censored_ smiley ....

That's why they have the handicap accessable 747 no?

Aviator4000

KBayDog said:
1. Enough of the ego. Nobody is impressed.
2. This is not the USMC. This is AirWarriors.
3. I can max my pullups too - hooray for me.
4. Don't assume anything. Most 20-pullup guys are guys that work on their pullups. Some are meatheads and others are 110# soaking wet.

Do yourself a favor and work on your running, no matter how much you dread it. You're right - it is a fundamental part of USMC training. It would be safe to say that cardiovascular conditioning is imperative, regardless of the activity, especially in entry-level training. If you can't run, you will get smoked at OCS and TBS.

There is nothing wrong with hitting the gym; just make sure you have a balanced physical fitness routine (and no, doing "circuit training" at the gym is not enough). Also, do some research on the supplements you may/may not be taking (not GNC research - research as to what you can/cannot take while you are in the Corps).

Ego? A person can make the same statement and have it mean several different things from the tone it was said. Unfortunately on internet message boards there is no way to know exactly what tone something was meant to have. I have no idea how you arrived at the enough of the ego, no one is impressed, but whatever man. I started this thread to see how many other guys that are out there share the same hobby as me (weightlifting). I know there is more than a few people who do and this is why I started the thread, not to "boost my ego". Btw those 110 pound soaking wet guys I am without a doubt sure have what I like to call a high horsepower to weight ratio. Sure their not all as you like to call us "meatheads", but at least in my weight training routine, pull ups are one of my top priority exercises if not THEE priority. I have seen 270 pound bodybuilders in the gym be able to do a total of 3 pull ups, not even all the way up and down I might add.

Thank you for the advice about running, but I have been doing this as much as I can. I just simply do not enjoy running nearly as much as I do weightlifting. I look forward to lifting, not so much so running (usually). e more weight you carry the tougher it becomes to run. Circuit training, na the only thing I do that is close to circuit training is shadow boxing/hit the heavy bag/speed bag/jump rope but I will also run.

The point you made about researching what you can and can not take in the Corps is very interesting to me. I did not know that there were restrictions on supplements in the Corps. Obviously steriods are banned, but everyone knows that. Do you mean that there are actually over the counter supplements that are banned? If it is true that over the counter supplements are banned, then I would have to say that is about the craziest thing I have ever heard in my life.

Aviator4000

HueyCobra8151 said:
I was doing a 6 day split before I broke my finger last fall.
M/W/F - Back/Chest - Legs in the Evening
T/Th/Sat - Shoulders/Arms

W/ lots of cardio mixed in at all different times.

After I broke my finger though I had a lot of time to consider where I wanted to go when I healed (as all I could do for those 2-3 months was run), and I decided to cut down and pretty much do nothing but pullups/pushups/dips and other body weight exercises for awhile.

There are a lot of big azz Marines who are farking huge (some are juicing unfortunately), but they can't hump a ruck.

I think physical fitness in the Marine Corps is better measured in terms of how well you can handle your own bodyweight: strength, muscular and cardio endurance, balance, flexibility.

Your weightlifting split is does not sound condusive to gaining muscle mass (not sure if this is your goal). While working out more frequently sometimes will help develop strength more quickly, I would have to say that you are overtraining. I would just hit your big musclse once a week and smaller ones maybe twice. Btw, pull ups, push ups, and dips are some of the best exercises for you anyway. Pull ups and dips are some of my cornerstone movements.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Before I got to TBS I loved lifting, and I was under the impression that all Marines should be somewhat ripped. Now that i'm pretty much done with TBS I see that lifting weights has absolutely 0% of a role in being physically ready for combat. Oh and by the way according to the CO of TBS "How fast you run 3 miles in pretty nylon shorts and expensive running shoes doesn't mean jack." What matters is if you can hump 20+ miles to the combat zone and still have the physical and mental where-with-all to lead Marines well. That isn't easy. I guess what I'm saying is all you pre OCS'ers or TBS'ers focus on cardio and humping if you want to be competative. If you show up to OCS all beefed up on creatine you're just going to drop 20 lbs cuz your body is trying to adapt to a god awful training environment.

KBayDog

Aviator4000 said:
The point you made about researching what you can and can not take in the Corps is very interesting to me. I did not know that there were restrictions on supplements in the Corps. Obviously steriods are banned, but everyone knows that. Do you mean that there are actually over the counter supplements that are banned? If it is true that over the counter supplements are banned, then I would have to say that is about the craziest thing I have ever heard in my life.

First off, sorry about the "ego" comment. You sounded to be bragging about the pressing 405# - I understand you didn't mean it that way. Again, sorry.

Anyway, there are a number of supplements banned by the Corps and the DoD (mostly ephedra-related), but commanders can ban supplements if they desire. For example, right as I was leaving TBS, the CO put out a list of OTC supplements that were off-limits to TBS lieutenants. I don't know the whole story behind it, but supposedly it had to do with cases of dehydration after taking supplements and then engaging in TBS exertion. In any event, the CO determined that certain OTC supplements should be banned, and he banned them.

You may think it's crazy, but you have to remember this: Rules exist for a reason. Especially the REALLY "crazy" rules. Odds are, someone else found out the hard way that a certain activity/product/procedure didn't work. Our job is to support the letter and intent of the rules.

Aviator4000

KBayDog said:
First off, sorry about the "ego" comment. You sounded to be bragging about the pressing 405# - I understand you didn't mean it that way. Again, sorry.

Anyway, there are a number of supplements banned by the Corps and the DoD (mostly ephedra-related), but commanders can ban supplements if they desire. For example, right as I was leaving TBS, the CO put out a list of OTC supplements that were off-limits to TBS lieutenants. I don't know the whole story behind it, but supposedly it had to do with cases of dehydration after taking supplements and then engaging in TBS exertion. In any event, the CO determined that certain OTC supplements should be banned, and he banned them.

You may think it's crazy, but you have to remember this: Rules exist for a reason. Especially the REALLY "crazy" rules. Odds are, someone else found out the hard way that a certain activity/product/procedure didn't work. Our job is to support the letter and intent of the rules.

Not a big deal, it was obviously a simple misunderstanding. Hopefully I will be on the same team as you are on soon enough anyway. Definitely wasn't bragging about my bench either. I know it is a good bench but I am sure there are some monsters in the Corps. that can smoke that bench. Besides bench press numbers, are just that numbers and doesn't mean that much about being a Marine. Like I said before I started this thread because lifting is a hobby of mine.

No I don't think that this is crazy now that you have explained it. I thought ephedra was ILLEGAL anyway? I know it is banned at least in my state. That would really blow getting dehydrated during pt, or on one of those brutal humps that I can only currently have nightmares about :eek: .

Status
Not open for further replies.