• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

were there any night carrier ops during ww11?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i dunno but don't think so. which makes me wonder exactly when did the navy commence this sort of thing.
thx
flaps

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The US Navy did do night ops in WWII including having several night air groups (NAGs), including NAG-90 on the USS Enterprise which was even designated CV(N)-6 as a 'night carrier' towards the end of the war. The main aircraft used during the war were night fighter and attack versions of the Hellcat, including F6F-3E/3N/5N, and the Avenger TBM-3/3E/3N.

Probably the heyday of night ops for Naval Aviation came during the Korean War though when Marine F7F Tigercats and F3D Skynights had several kills and Guy Bordelon became the only Navy ace of the war by shooting down 5 North Koreans intruders at night during the end of the war in the F4U-5N. They were predominantly landbased during that war though.

This is a book about NAG-90 while this one covers the whole history of night carrier ops.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Butch O'Hare, the Navy's first ace in WWII, was killed in 1943 while conducting an experimental night intercept of Japanese aircraft while he was serving as CAG-6 on board Enterprise.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Although not part of a carrier's air wing.... Since I'm a VP guy, gotta give a shout out to the "Black Cats". Big.Brass.Balls.

blackcat.jpg

navyao

There was a great article about the (N) fighters during WWII in the Summer issue of the Hook.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm reading The Twilight Warriors at the moment (the title referring to the Americans and Japanese who were just getting into combat in the last six months of the Pacific war, either brand-new ensigns or more senior guys who'd been in staff/instructor jobs the whole war). Reading about the night-fighter squadrons during Okinawa, referred to as the 'Bat-CAP', which the rest of the CAG 'regarded with a mixture of awe and suspicion. Anyone who volunteered for night carrier ops was by definition certifiably weird'.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
http://www.amazon.com/Batmen-Night-Air-Group-World/dp/1883809088

Got this book in the mail today... Didn't really have the focus on the development of carrier landing techniques/procedures that I was hoping for. Very good book though. Most of the discussion is about the establishment of the the squadron and the development of offensive night tactics. I'm still on the hunt for one that discusses in greater detail the first couple of crazy bastards that put their hooks down at night.