• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What did Rumsfeld fly?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Was just reading "Cobra II", and while I vaguely realized Rumsfeld was a Navy pilot, I was curious what he had flown.

While I'm normally an inventive googler and search engine user, I'm at a loss to find anything other than that he had a "brief, but successful career as a Navy pilot from 54-57"

Random question, I know, but splinter in my mind right now...

Bevo16

pilot
All I can find is that he was a carrier pilot. His former platform seems to be one of the nation's most guarded secrets.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Correct ... you gotta try harder, boys. :) One interview went something like this, in part:

QUESTION: What kind of plane did you fly in the Navy?

RUMSFELD: The last one I flew was a carrier-based sub-chaser called an S2F--a Grumman tracker.

But all the planes I flew are in the museums, so don't go looking for one.

(LAUGHTER)

...Rumsfeld attended Princeton University on academic and NROTC scholarships (A.B., 1954) and served in the U.S. Navy (1954-57) as an aviator and flight instructor. In 1957, he transferred to the Ready Reserve and continued his Naval service in flying and administrative assignments (mostly) as a drilling reservist until 1975. He transferred to the Standby Reserve when he became Secretary of Defense in 1975 and to the Retired Reserve with the rank of Captain in 1989.

He was also a Navy flight instructor and I understand he was at one time the all Navy wrestling champion for his weight class. I cannot verify this ....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A4sForever said:
...Rumsfeld attended Princeton University on academic and NROTC scholarships (A.B., 1954) and served in the U.S. Navy (1954-57) as an aviator and flight instructor. In 1957, he transferred to the Ready Reserve and continued his Naval service in flying and administrative assignments (mostly) as a drilling reservist until 1975. He transferred to the Standby Reserve when he became Secretary of Defense in 1975 and to the Retired Reserve with the rank of Captain in 1989.

So, this rank of captain. Did he make captain in that 21 years, or did making SecDef the first time get him that promotion? I don't think promotions normally come very often, if at all, in the standby reserve.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
So, this rank of captain. Did he make captain in that 21 years, or did making SecDef the first time get him that promotion? .....
Dunno ... but I sure would like to have "congressional assistant", "Congressman", or "Secretary of Defense" on my bio when going before the promotion board .... :) ... YES???

BlkPny

pilot
While stationed at HQ, US European Command in Stuttgart, Germany, I flew Rumsfeld on a VIP flight to Brussels, in about 1974 or 75. All AF crew except for me, flying CP and wearing my whites. He came forward to say hello to us, saw the only Navy guy on board, and could not have been friendlier. Almost like he was trying to gush on me and ignore the AF types. Great sense of humor, always ready to smile and joke. Hung out up front for most of the flight.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
I never knew the Secretary of Defense had been in the military, let alone that he was a Navy Pilot. My respect for him just rose considerably!!!!

Bevo16

pilot
That's pretty cool stuff. My dad was an aircrewman in the S-2 with VS-28, back in the early 60's.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I didn't know you could be in the reserves while doing the cabinet secretary/congressman/VP/president thing. I would think the government job would get in the way of military service.

Donald Rumsfeld is also a badass, just sayin'.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
10102136.jpg

Found this one while searching the web....Rumsfeld can be my wingman...Anytime.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
I didn't know you could be in the reserves while doing the cabinet secretary/congressman/VP/president thing.....

You can do it ... makes one manage one's time a little closer.

Hell, I wish ALL of 'em were in the Reserves !!! It might change the perspective of legislators and policy makers when it comes to putting American GI's bodies in harm's way .....

Just sayin', also ..... :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
You can do it ... makes one manage one's time a little closer.

Hell, I wish ALL of 'em were in the Reserves !!! It might change the perspective of legislators and policy makers when it comes to putting American GI's bodies in harm's way .....

Just sayin', also ..... :)
Yea, wouldn't THAT be a b!tch. Vote in favor of a war and then find yourself being called up to active duty.

macattack

Wankertank said:
10102136.jpg

Found this one while searching the web....Rumsfeld can be my wingman...Anytime.

Hmm..might want to clean up that p-shop a bit. I'll cut you some slack though since you're a fellow FSU'er. :icon_zbee