• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What does that shiny new ride cost?

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Considering all the electronics stuffed into it, I can understand the hawkeye being a bit pricey. What has me confused is how the F-22 is listed as triple the cost of an F-35, making it the most expensive per-unit aircraft listed...

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Think about size and duration of the production run, schedule changes (it is more expensive to move from 15 to 10 a/c per year than it would be to just start at 10), and the fact that there are some whiz-bang, BFM things in the F-22 that will not be in the JSF.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
"BFM" to a guy who grew up in a Phrog. May all be old news to you, but I started out in an aircraft that still had vacumn tubes... Regardless, the F-22 has some pretty cool, and subsequently pretty expensive things that were paid for by their developmental dollars. Whether or not JSF takes advantage of them, their program did not have to pay for the big initial development costs.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Ok, after reading your replies and taking a closer look at the report (noting "Program costs" at the top) I suppose that makes sense. Also makes a bit more sense of the Comanche program getting axed.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
I'm guessing we're using completely different definitions for BFM.

my idea of BFM is an in flight microwave (something MMA will have) and a flush toilet (also something the MMA will have).

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Well I don't know about you guys....but I was shocked that the GlobalHawk UAV has a higher per unit cost than many of the on the line, manned aircraft out there...

Leave it to the Air Force...Take the man out to save weight, and prevent having to put all that "human support equipment" in the aircraft and it still comes out more expensive...:D

I smell slush money to build a golf course.