• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens to pilots of airframes that get phased out?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
They're taken out back and put down.

It's the only humane thing to do.

P.S. fix your profile

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depending on where they are in their career, they are moved to another platform if available.

Bio

None
Many great A-6 crews came to the F-14 community. Not only did it give them the chance to keep flying, but their professional contributions as the F-14 became a strike-fighter were extremely valuable. Plenty of them were selected for squadron command, so IMHO the Navy treated them right.

Of course before that there were a lot of F-4 pilots and RIOs who transitioned, A-7 pilots to FA-18s, RA-5C pilots and RANs to (frequently) F-14s, etc.

I worked with a lot of USAF F-4 and F-111 pilots and WSOs who became F-15E aircrews.

I guess I could have conveyed my message with one word: transition.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Many great A-6 crews came to the F-14 community. Not only did it give them the chance to keep flying, but their professional contributions as the F-14 became a strike-fighter were extremely valuable. Plenty of them were selected for squadron command, so IMHO the Navy treated them right.

Of course before that there were a lot of F-4 pilots and RIOs who transitioned, A-7 pilots to FA-18s, RA-5C pilots and RANs to (frequently) F-14s, etc.

I worked with a lot of USAF F-4 and F-111 pilots and WSOs who became F-15E aircrews.

I guess I could have conveyed my message with one word: transition.

At my last command (NADEP North Island) I worked with an O-5 that went A-7's to A-6's to F-18's finally.