• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Is That!?!?

B

Blutonski816

I was browsing through concept art pages and along the way I got to Ralph McQuarrie's site (if you don't know, he was the concept artist for the original Star Wars movies). So as I looked through his site i came upon this piece that he did for Lockheed.

03.JPG

anyone know what that was supposed to be?? it looks like an evolution of the S-3, but that looks like some kinda radar on the lower aircraft. Anyone seen this before??

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
What is That

These were concepts for variations to the S-3 Viking. The one with the radome was to be a replacement for the E-2. These have been around for a while. I think that they might have been in Popular Science. I know that they were in Aviation Week, but I can't remember exactly when.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LaneNFO said:
yeah, that does look like an evolution of the s-3. the lower aircraft kinda looks like an E-2 Hawkeye

jim beat me to it!
Lane, would you like to be an NFO on one of those?

Brett

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Pretty sure that was supposed to be a version of the CSA-Common Support Aircraft. It was to be a replacement for the S-3, E-2 and C-2.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
bunk22 said:
Pretty sure that was supposed to be a version of the CSA-Common Support Aircraft. It was to be a replacement for the S-3, E-2 and C-2.

Now that you said it that is exactly what it is.

CSA

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
MIDNJAC said:
so is this still gonna happen? or will we be seeing an EC-18 instead :icon_wink

Don't think so, at least not any time soon. The new E-2D Hawkeye is being funded and the Navy is apprantly buying 48 V-22's and might fund the new C-2B as well.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Would gladly trade the D-model back for turbofans, a lack of vibration, and a true phased-array system. CSA would have been such a good deal for VS/VQ/VAW/VRC had they been able to get their act together.

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
I remember that drawing from like 1992 or something. Being an S-3 guy, I thought that these were the coolest things ever. Now that I have been in a while, I feel foolish for ever believing the Navy would build these. But they still look cool (to an S-3 guy).

B

Blutonski816

^ No sh!t that's why I posted it. Even as a former platform junkie, I think that could have been one sweet aircraft.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
bunk22 said:
Don't think so, at least not any time soon. The new E-2D Hawkeye is being funded and the Navy is apprantly buying 48 V-22's and might fund the new C-2B as well.
'

What's the difference between the E-2D and the current C models? :confused: