• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is this flight helmet?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What's the story on this Hornet pilot's helmet? Is it some kind of integrated HUD or night vision system?

Somebody who is smart on these things please enlighten -

web_060619-N-7711S-013.jpg

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Its the JHMCS (joint helmet mounted Cuing sytem). Has same info as the hud plus other weapons systems stuff. Works great with the AIM9X and Air to ground weapons. Great tool that WSO's will also get in the future. Now its for pilots only.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm guessing they fixed those problems they were having a few years ago then? Some deal with the break-away connections not doing so during ejection if I remember correctly.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
gaijin6423 said:
I'm guessing they fixed those problems they were having a few years ago then? Some deal with the break-away connections not doing so during ejection if I remember correctly.

Also I read somewhere that they were having problems with weight, ie: being too heavy. I am guessing that they have fixed those problems? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

VAmookie

gaijin6423 said:

so when the seat and your body ejects, your head/helmet remains attatched in the cockpit? tonsofun

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:

JHMCS is Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System. The requirement was initiated to optimize performance of the high off boresight AIM-9X. True, it mimicks the HUD in many ways, but also has other features to enhance air-to-air targeting. USAF lead is F-15C (F-16 to follow) and both JHMCS and AIM-9X were declared operational in fall of 2003 witht he Elemendorf F-15C wing.

By then, the breakaway connector issues was solved and it was related to F/A-18C configuration (original lead platform)giving way too easily in test (and being a royal b___ to fix). JHMCS is now a production feature of F/A-18E/F (front seat initially with rear seat to come)and flightline retrofit to F/A-18C will give Hornet JHMCS and AIM-9X capability. Although its introduction was prompted by AIM-9X, it is a sweet piece of gear for A/G use.

Currently, the Display unit has to be removed to use NVDs so it is either/or. Desire is to have an integrated day/night cueing and NVD capability. Tought to put all that tech on a helmet within form factor and weight limitations. JSF HMD is being developed by same outfit (VSI) and will have both capabilities. AH-1Z is working their second HMD to get similar performance.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
They're testing JHMCS for WSOs in China Lake right now, but there's still software issues to be worked out. Certainly the 18E* jets won't get it, and perhaps not the H2E/H2E+ jets.

The thought is that WSOs will see JHMCS (referred to colloquially as "the Helmet") NLT 2008.

I've worn it in the front-seat sim, and it's no heavier than a normal helmet (certainly not as painful as goggles). The SA you get wearing it is incredible. Definetely would be a worthwhile tool for FAC(A).

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
The real crime is that we waited this long to develop one.

Back in the 1970s, the F-4 had a version known as the VTAS. http://www.best-of-flightgear.dk/vtassafe.htm
Never made another till this one...

The Soviets in the mid-1980s developed their own monocular sight, paired with the R-73 (AA-11) "Archer" infrared missile.

The Israelis developed their own, known as DASH, in the early 90s, designed to pair with the Python IV/V.

elbit4s.jpg

Those two have been sold to many friendly and not-so-friendly countries.

At least now we have our own JHMCS/AIM-9X combo

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:

Back in the 1970s, the F-4 had a version known as the VTAS. http://www.best-of-flightgear.dk/vtassafe.htm
Never made another till this one...

The Soviets in the mid-1980s developed their own monocular sight, paired with the R-73 (AA-11) "Archer" infrared missile.

The Israelis developed their own, known as DASH, in the early 90s, designed to pair with the Python IV/V.

elbit4s.jpg

Those two have been sold to many friendly and not-so-friendly countries.

At least now we have our own JHMCS/AIM-9X combo
All it's missing is the sweeping red light like those b!tchin' shinny Cylon dudes.

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
or the red Airwolf square that meant another model MD500 was going to explode soon.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:

According to my on-wing back in Primary, the Romanians had the technology in 1999.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:
I keep wondering when the 4th-gen NVDs with the increased FOV are coming.

It is always in the top 10 at every OAG, we keep hearing "soon" but we'll see, I wonder how the weight is