• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What kind of people survive ocs & flight school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar155

is good to go
What kind of people make it through ocs and flight school? Is it more mental then physical or vice versa? What sort of mentality should you have?

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lonestar155 said:
What kind of people make it through ocs and flight school? Is it more mental then physical or vice versa? What sort of mentality should you have?

My friends who have gone say that yeah, it kicks your butt physically, but that the experience is definitely more mentally exhuasting. You can prepare physically, but I don't think you can prepare for a drill instructor screaming in your face. The people who succeed are the ones who can meet both the physical and mental challenges and keep fighting for their dream. It takes a lot of drive and dedication, but if it's what you really want, those things should come naturally. :)

~Crystal

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Candidates that endure to earn wings of gold are highly intelligent, have unmatched good humor and are devastatingly good looking.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Unfortunately, EVERYONE survives Navy OCS if you want it bad enough. Each class probably has at least one or two people who definitely shouldn't be officers, and the entire class knows who they are, and so do the class drill instructors.

However, it seemed to me like Navy OCS was working towards a goal of ZERO attrition, and that nobody would ever be told to go home.

While I'm still IMMENSELY proud to be a Naval Officer, it's very clear that short of injury and DOR, there aren't many ways that people get attrited from OCS.

All that said, there are rumors floating that the Navy is thinking about separating the Aviators OCS from other designators like it used to be.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a product of the old way, AOCS. And although I haven't been down to observe the combined OCS program in person, I have heard alot about it from our stash ensigns. The combined program is better for the former Newport OCS guys because it is more challenging and physical then the old program. However, the current program is easier then the old AOCS for aviation designators only. I do believe it is probably good to expose the aviators to some of the academics from the black shoe only program. I would be shocked if they split the programs again just because of cost. As to guys not getting the boot that should have, even in the old days they never kicked a guy out because he "wasn't officer material". The only way out of OCS is DOR, fail academics or PT (and then they roll you back for another shot), NPQ or seperation for cause. For cause meaning you broke the law. We had a guy forge an officer's signature on a liberty chit. He truely didn't belong in the Navy and we were glad to see him go. It took all of 6 hours. The DIs lean heavy on the guys that don't belong in the Navy because DOR is the only way to get rid of them. That was one of the benefits of the old AOCS. No Navy CPOs, DIs ran the show from day one until they returned your first salute. Very much like USMC OCS. They had lots of opportunities to make undesirables DOR or get a clue real fast. It was definitly harder than it is now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, really cool hair is required for winging. I can't quite make that claim now.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Wink,

Gunnys still have a lot of power. If you're hosed up, they'll call you down to thier office and give you a special PT session, if you say "DOR" during this, they'll accept it. On the other hand we had one girl DOR about six times, but they were all during stressful evolutions (outpost, 4th week), so the staff didn't take it seriously.

The NAS Pensacola Skipper did tell us though, that back in the days of AOCS, the gunny followed you through API. Bet that was fun.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
VetteMuscle427 said:
What happens if you get to flight school and flunk out? Do they reassign you to another job?

Patmack is right unless you've earned your wings. I'm talking about the FRS and it does happen that some don't make it through the FRS. I recently processed a FNAEB for an NFO and he kept his wings but will never fly again. He is now going GENNAV to serve out his committment of 6 years I believe. Not all of it has to be general navy but at least 2 years does before he can reapply to another community.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
don't forget the rumors of a possible RIF. horror story:

a few years ago all the a-poolers went into the auditorium. under their chair was an envelope. if the envelope was pink, they go home. period. winged or not, augment augment augment.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you even augment while in the program? I thought you had to be winged for at least 2 yrs or something. I wasn't even offered the option until I had made O-3. It took almost a year to go through (deployment didn't speed things up).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
...and in half those envelopes was a picture of the bride getting it on with the best man. The other half had pictures of Richard Gere in the ER getting a consult from a small animal vetrinarian.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Patmack18 said:
Thisguy... thats cuz back in the day you didn't get commisioned until you had soloed. So even through flight school, up until your solo you were still an OC.

How did that work for ROTC and Academy commissions then?? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.