• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the real story with Hawaii?

Rey de Algodon

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time reader, but as you can tell from my post count this is my first one. Here's a short bio for those that care...

USNA '07 Grad, TBS Delta-07, now currently in Primary at Whiting.

As I am coming to the end of this phase and with selection looming, I am put in somewhat of a difficult situation. My fiancee is also in Primary (however she is Navy) and she will finish a couple weeks ahead of me. She is interested in selecting P-3's. As far as I know, the only place we could be stationed together is in Hawaii. I do not mind flying 53D's, however I am hearing conflicting stories about what's happening there with them. Are they being moved to Japan and replaced with 46's? Are they moving an Osprey squadron to Hawaii as well? These are just a few of the things I have heard about it. Any knowledge about K-Bay would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, we realize that if she selected Helo's out of North Island it would make things a lot easier. But I would just like to fully understand our options. Thanks in advance Gents.

phrogpilot73

Holy crap, enjoy the mil-mil... That's why I'm in the Reserves, colocating is near impossible at best.

To answer your question though, last I've seen was the 53Ds in Hawaii transitioning to V-22's after they finish the West Coast (but before Okinawa). The whole idea of 46's moving from Oki to Hawaii has been floating around since I was a Lt. My guess is that it's some old Phrog guys waxing nostalgic about when there were two Phrog squadrons in Hawaii. I recently heard (word of mouth - nothing on paper) that they may replace the 53D with the 53K (I'll believe it when I see it). Either way, it'll probably be AT LEAST 7-8 years before the 53Ds transition to anything. After that, it will be an aircraft that will open the door to your being stationed in San Diego or Jacksonville, NC.

Again, I'm in the Reserves so I'm not as dialed into the plan as I once was. I do know that the Phrogs in Norfolk aren't going away until at least 2017 so I can keep flying them until retirement! :D