• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When not deployed

PCHomerun_4

I was curious to know what an aviator does when not deployed?
When working off the ship and on base, how often do you fly?
I'm just curious to know what work is like on land. If anyone from experience can answer these questions it will be greatly appreciated.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What we do....
spank_the_monkey300.jpg

But seriously...workups and and IDTC (inter-deployment training cycle) will keep you busy.
Flight hours taper off after you get back to maybe 10-20 hours/moth. They ramp up as you near deployment to about 30 hours/month (aircraft dependant).
Detachments for A/G and guns, boat CQ dets, Fallon Air Wing Dets all take place in your roughly 12-16 month turn around period.

I'm speaking for VFA so forgive me if the numbers aren't right for VAQ, VAW, VRC or HS.

But the rhythm is about the same for all in the airwing.

So you stay pretty busy. It goes quick.

Cheers,
G

Huggy Bear

pilot
Life between deployments can really vary. It depends on what your squadron is doing at the time and your groundjob within the squadron. Did the squadron just get back from deployment? Or, are you working up to go?

Generally, getting ready for deployment, "works ups", are the busiest time. Work ups can be quite painful. They are a series of mini dets to the boat and to fallon. Usually for only 2-4 weeks at a time. Your squadron adapts a sort of nomadic lifestyle. At the same time, you are under the microscope from various sources to make sure that your squadron gets to a certain "readiness level". You achieve this readiness through completing different missions and types of flights on a complicated matrix. That sounds cool, and it is good for the logbook, but you will learn that there can actually be such a thing as "too much flying". You also begin to work more with the rest of the airwing and other battle group assets. It is cool to be part of your first big 20+ plane strike, but you must also help in marathon 12 hour strike planning sessions.

After you return from deployment most squadrons adapt more of a shore duty mindset until work ups start again. Some will go down to 4 day work weeks for a while. Other than night flights, you will generally be on 8-16 type day if your ground job is not too bad. That annoying readiness matrix does not completely go away, and you still fly a variety of missions. There is also in house unit level training. Everything from sims, wingman specific flights, section lead training, etc. For VFA at least, you should leave your first tour with a bunch of quals- level 2,3,3I,4, FCF, etc. The oversight for these comes from the weapon school, but is mostly instructed by the senior O-3s and O-4s within the squadron. These briefs and debriefs generally take a while. There is also a lot of random tasking that comes down for squadrons back from deployment. Everything from VIP visits, to flybys, helping out FACs with CAS training, flying Orange air for airwings working up, etc. They usually sprinkle in a couple of good deal dets to fun locations like alaska or key west.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
The only edit I'd have to that is that 12-16 months is on the longer side between deployments now. Most turnarounds are between half to three-quarters of that (for the recent time-period and airframe transitions notwithstanding).

UINavy, Good point.
Your turn around time really can vary, that's why I gave a range based on what I've seen. If you're VRC, you may be back on det within months.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was curious to know what an aviator does when not deployed?
When working off the ship and on base, how often do you fly?
I'm just curious to know what work is like on land. If anyone from experience can answer these questions it will be greatly appreciated.
I can tell you what they don't do.

snake020

Contributor
We are just talking about visiting for two weeks. Nobody would actually want to live there. :eek: :icon_tong

Oh, you mean when the 18s and Prowlers come here in the summer for an exercise or two. Ya, that's a sweet deal...

I thought you might have been referring to the Naval Aviators that are here mostly in staff type joint roles at ALCOM - not only do they have to deal with all the bad stuff in AK, but I think they don't get to fly during their tour here either.