• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to speak with an OR?

Sonniit

Hey y’all, just called the hotline number for my area in order to schedule a meeting with an officer recruiter. The guy on the other line informed me that I would have to wait until I have graduated to even begin the process. For context, I am a college senior with an expected graduation date of 12/24. I’m about 95% certain the guy gave me the incorrect answer. I’m located in SE Oklahoma if that matters. Thanks y’all.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey y’all, just called the hotline number for my area in order to schedule a meeting with an officer recruiter. The guy on the other line informed me that I would have to wait until I have graduated to even begin the process. For context, I am a college senior with an expected graduation date of 12/24. I’m about 95% certain the guy gave me the incorrect answer. I’m located in SE Oklahoma if that matters. Thanks y’all.

Instead of contacting the hotline find a local point of contact on the navy.com website.

You can apply typically 12 months prior to graduation.

Ninja

SNA Select
Im in practically the same boat, Senior and graduating in June. I was told you're allowed to start working with a recruiter 12 months prior to expected graduation but either way definitely contact someone else as what you were told is incorrect.

Empire16

Im in practically the same boat, Senior and graduating in June. I was told you're allowed to start working with a recruiter 12 months prior to expected graduation but either way definitely contact someone else as what you were told is incorrect.
You can apply when you have 60 college credits via BDCP so this is just not true...

Ninja

SNA Select
You can apply when you have 60 college credits via BDCP so this is just not true...
Yeah but does BDCP 'operate' under different criteria compared to other college applicants? I was told by my OR that you are only allowed to start within that one year mark so that's all I'm going off.

Empire16

No its exactly the same except you also have to submit a academic "plan" with your package. Everything else is exactly the same. Just allows you to apply earlier and get paid while you are still in college if accepted.

Ninja

SNA Select
No its exactly the same except you also have to submit a academic "plan" with your package. Everything else is exactly the same. Just allows you to apply earlier and get paid while you are still in college if accepted.
Ah gotcha, well OP is within the one year graduation window anyhow so I guess the time restriction for applying no longer matters.

exNavyOffRec

Technically yes, however a person who has 60 credits from a community college and has been accepted to a 4 year degree but not yet started will typically not get picked up until they see that person has made a good transition to a 4 year college.
Yeah but does BDCP 'operate' under different criteria compared to other college applicants? I was told by my OR that you are only allowed to start within that one year mark so that's all I'm going off.
Different standards, fewer spots and much more selective, they will generally look for someone that will have almost no chance of failing out.
The closer to graduation the less chance of getting picked up as why spend money on someone that is about to graduate anyway, the last time they opened up BDCP no one with 6 months of graduation when the board convened would be considered for BDCP, just the standard OCS route.

They ones I saw picked up were between 12-24 months left before graduation and had very good GPA's.

Empire16

Technically yes, however a person who has 60 credits from a community college and has been accepted to a 4 year degree but not yet started will typically not get picked up until they see that person has made a good transition to a 4 year college.

Different standards, fewer spots and much more selective, they will generally look for someone that will have almost no chance of failing out.

The closer to graduation the less chance of getting picked up as why spend money on someone that is about to graduate anyway, the last time they opened up BDCP no one with 6 months of graduation when the board convened would be considered for BDCP, just the standard OCS route.

They ones I saw picked up were between 12-24 months left before graduation and had very good GPA's.
So they care more about GPA then in a normal board if its BDCP? Is ASTB weighed the same?

exNavyOffRec

So they care more about GPA then in a normal board if its BDCP? Is ASTB weighed the same?
GPA and ASTB, once a person has graduated the GPA is locked in, but a person that has really good ASTB score but only a marginal GPA could slip below a 2.8 and be dropped from the program. The ones I had or saw picked up had GPA's of 3.5 or greater, but not all were aviation it was a mix of SWO and aviation.