• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wondering what free time during primary looks like

kookylukey

Sweet, thanks y'all. Got assigned an 11 August OCS date yesterday and sounds like I'm gonna hold off on upgrading for the time being. Good to know theres a tri community in Pensacola, but was also wondering about how safe it is to ride around Pensacola and the Florida panhandle more generally. I've heard some stories and read some stats about biker safety being atrocious in Florida. Has anyone experienced this?
I average 100-150 miles a week depending on a lot of things. Contacts in Primary my mileage was more like 25-30 just with out/ins and you're studying and just zapped from being in the plane. Instruments was a little easier to get miles as most your flights are in the evening. HTs so far haven't been as bogged down (yet) as primary which has been nice. I could still even get more than the 100-150 but Im not that serious.
As for Florida roads compared to other places. Drivers are the same anywhere you go, anyone who says drivers are more crazy in place A than place B doesn't know what they are talking about and I will die on that hill.

The roads however, Florida is definitely worse than PA/NC/MI/MT where I've lived before. But thats not to say it's impossible by any means, the backroads up by Whiting are amazing and very low traffic, if you stay on the east side of Pensacola by the Airport there's tons of good roads there as well, and riding to Ft Pickens is an amazing road where the speed limit is only 25 and theres a shoulder bike lane. The "worse" part about Florida is just there's more multi lane 50mph roads you have to navigate around. There's groups rides at A/(A+ some rides) speeds Tuesday-Thursday as well as Saturday throughout the week. It's no SoCal scene but there's sizable groups for a city of it's size. PM if you have any other questions about it. I know this info is pretty niche lol

Lastly, when you're in the pools, you can get 40+ hour ride weeks in if you really wanted to. As others have said, it's very feast or famine.

Last edited:

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Seconding the Ft Pickens route. You can do a few out and backs from the PCola beach parking lot if you want to up the miles.