• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Good afternoon,

First off I want to thank everybody on this thread for posting their study guides, tips, etc. that has helped me attain a competitive test score (51 OAR, 6/6/7 AQR/PFAR/FOFAR). I am applying for the August board, and I want to apply as SNA, SNFO, and SWO.

However, when I called my recruiter the next day, I mentioned that I wear contacts, and he stated that was not an issue as long as my vision was 20/20 corrected. Then, he connects me with another recruiter, who instantly tells me that I can only apply for NFO since I have contacts. I read through the NAMI and the visual requirements state 20/40 uncorrected. After speaking with an active military pilot, he mentioned to tell my recruiter to put me down for SNA. Basically, I’m trying to clarify whether or not I can apply for SNA with contacts, since I have been told both that I can and cannot. Thank you in advance, and good luck to everybody applying and testing!
You’re right for the 20/40 I corrected vision and 20/20 corrected. You also have to pass depth perception at MEPS. Good luck.

YeRok

Good afternoon,

First off I want to thank everybody on this thread for posting their study guides, tips, etc. that has helped me attain a competitive test score (51 OAR, 6/6/7 AQR/PFAR/FOFAR). I am applying for the August board, and I want to apply as SNA, SNFO, and SWO.

However, when I called my recruiter the next day, I mentioned that I wear contacts, and he stated that was not an issue as long as my vision was 20/20 corrected. Then, he connects me with another recruiter, who instantly tells me that I can only apply for NFO since I have contacts. I read through the NAMI and the visual requirements state 20/40 uncorrected. After speaking with an active military pilot, he mentioned to tell my recruiter to put me down for SNA. Basically, I’m trying to clarify whether or not I can apply for SNA with contacts, since I have been told both that I can and cannot. Thank you in advance, and good luck to everybody applying and testing!
Applying for SNA as well. I wear contacts as well and the question is, are you getting LASIK? If so, you’ll need a ‘waiver’. I’m in the process of getting a waiver but it’s, let’s say, confusing. My main recruiter said gave me the number of a different recruiter who said there’s no such thing as a definitive ‘LASIK waiver’. But he did say “all my applicants who need LASIK and applied, got through MEPS”. So I got a real nothing burger of an answer but it comes down to whether or no MEPS will allow you through or not. I’m only saying this cause I’m sorta in the same boat. But I think my vision is a lot worse than yours. I’m at a loss until I call up my main recruiter on Monday and attempt to get things straightened out. Ask your recruiter what the deal is with your vision before you get too far ahead. For LASIK, it’s 6 months out before you can apply. Keep us updated.

Prometheus_

What is your eyesight? As long as you are at most 20/40 in both eyes uncorrected you are fine. You just need to pass depth perception at MEPs as TF7325 stated. As YeRok said, there isn't a "LASIK" waiver per say, it is a waiver for corneal refractive eye surgery (PRK/LASIK). If you choose to get LASIK and as long as you meet the general guidelines and your procedure goes well you shouldn't have any issues getting a waiver or so I have been told. You will just have to wait six long months. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

PhlyHigh94

This thread has been a life saver for a lot of us and I do not want to belabor the awesome information that a lot of people put up on this thread. So I will only include some observations that I have made while taking the test that I have not seen posted thus far:

OAR portion: You are penalized much harder for incorrect answers than if you don't answer at all. I timed out on all three portions and still got a 57. Remember, this entire test is about accuracy FIRST, then Speed.

Dichotic Listening: The pace is quite slow and makes this portion very easy. Lean to the target ear and HERE IS WHY! You may have a lot of perceived pressure of the test and you may have spurts where you just blank out [especially during the combined PBM portion]. Leaning will remind you what ear you are listening too. Also, repeat EVERYTHING in the target ear. This will help you because if you do not repeat you may second guess what you heard, repeating the target ear gives you a SECOND CHANCE!

PBM: Regarding the multi-tasked portions of this event, focus on the additional tasks. For example, during the 2d/vertical/ dichotic, focus on dichotic FIRST, then find out which will be your second priority (I surprisingly had an easier time tracking 2D peripherally rather than the vertical plane and you will find out quickly which plane you take to better). Remember, being an aviator is about your ability to shift focus quickly and trying to do all of them at once is extremely difficult (however, some of you are flat out gifted!) Prioritize the evolution and shift your focus quickly. Crush it!

Lastly, thank you all to those that have contributed to this thread. Your contributions have been invaluable and afforded me [and many others] the opportunity do well on the test and pay any experience forward.

What I did for the dichotic listening was whenever I had the target ear, I would remove the over-the-ear headphone from the other ear completely so I could only listen to the numbers in the target ear. I think that helped quite a bit. And then I would switch left, right.

benderMI

Anyone else take both the AFOQT and ASTB? I was really surprised with my mediocre ASTB scores when compared to the AFOQT and TBAS. My only tidbit of advice for those taking the ASTB is to study test specific gouge. I used a broad approach and mostly used to Barron's book and it showed in my scores.

ASTB: 49 5/7/6
AFOQT: 97 Pilot, 99 Nav
PCSM: 84

PhlyHigh94

Anyone else take both the AFOQT and ASTB? I was really surprised with my mediocre ASTB scores when compared to the AFOQT and TBAS. My only tidbit of advice for those taking the ASTB is to study test specific gouge. I used a broad approach and mostly used to Barron's book and it showed in my scores.

ASTB: 49 5/7/6
AFOQT: 97 Pilot, 99 Nav
PCSM: 84
- You have the same exact ASTB as I do, except +6 points more on the OAR. Apparently the aviation calculator is no longer being used according to my OR to check where that puts me.

Flyboy_35

Flyboy
Hey all,
OAR: 45 5/6/7
First i want to thank everyone on this page. You guys really helped me prepare for the test. Having said that, It was way different than what I was expecting. The whole time i thought i was going to fail it and have to re-take it no matter what. When i received my scores i was shocked to see that i actually did decently well, but all means its not a great score. I still have 2 more attempts to take it however, I only have one more shot before the package is due for the SNA board in August. Do i risk it and take it before the board or hold off on these scores and see what happens?

A Little background info: I played division 1 soccer, and then went on to play for a professional team. Recently I have still been training with a professional team but had to stop as I needed more money so got a full time job. I have an hour or two of flight time but am looking to get my private license before the board meets.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

AndrewH1919

Hello, I just submitted my package for the April board and was not selected for either SNA or NFO. I have taken the ASTB twice with my current score coming in at 50 5/7/6. I have a solid GPA and graduate in a week from college. I am unsure whether it was the timing of my application, the average ASTB score, or a combination of those plus other contributing factors that led to not being selected. That being said, I am going to continue working with my officer recruiter and try to reapply as many times as possible and perhaps even re-retake the test. Coming from someone who didn't get selected, I won't offer any words of wisdom but thought I would share my experience anyway. Good luck to you!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello, I just submitted my package for the April board and was not selected for either SNA or NFO. I have taken the ASTB twice with my current score coming in at 50 5/7/6. I have a solid GPA and graduate in a week from college. I am unsure whether it was the timing of my application, the average ASTB score, or a combination of those plus other contributing factors that led to not being selected. That being said, I am going to continue working with my officer recruiter and try to reapply as many times as possible and perhaps even re-retake the test. Coming from someone who didn't get selected, I won't offer any words of wisdom but thought I would share my experience anyway. Good luck to you!

You barely meet the mins of the ASTB requirements.

PhlyHigh94

What other contributing factors do you think did not get you selected because I have the same ASTB score with a 43 in OAR. If you didn’t get selected, then my hopes just went down.

AndrewH1919

According to RecruitingGuru, my scores were minimal and I don't doubt they were a factor in my not getting selected. Don't get your hopes down because I think supply and demand play a big role in selection each time so maybe this time around I just had poor timing.

MattyD2019

Hello Everyone,
I have for the past several weeks been keeping up with everyone's advice you all have given on taking the ASTB-E. I plan on taking the test in mid to late May and was wondering how everyone prepared in their final weeks before taking the test? I have been really focusing on my weak spots (math & mechanical comprehension) and have been utilizing a tutor to prepare for those parts. I've also been using study guides, such as Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests and ASTB-E Study Guide by Accepted Inc. Are there any others that I should look into, or are they any online sources that anyone recommends? The reading, aviation and nautical knowledge seem pretty straight forward but I still put time into those every week as well. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Quick background about me: I graduated college in fall of 2018 with a bachelor's in communications and political science with a 3.2 gpa. I am in the Air Force (Air National Guard) with four years already in. I also have my private pilot's license with 80 plus hours in different airplanes.

Rahul Gupta

Hello Everyone,
I have for the past several weeks been keeping up with everyone's advice you all have given on taking the ASTB-E. I plan on taking the test in mid to late May and was wondering how everyone prepared in their final weeks before taking the test? I have been really focusing on my weak spots (math & mechanical comprehension) and have been utilizing a tutor to prepare for those parts. I've also been using study guides, such as Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests and ASTB-E Study Guide by Accepted Inc. Are there any others that I should look into, or are they any online sources that anyone recommends? The reading, aviation and nautical knowledge seem pretty straight forward but I still put time into those every week as well. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Quick background about me: I graduated college in fall of 2018 with a bachelor's in communications and political science with a 3.2 gpa. I am in the Air Force (Air National Guard) with four years already in. I also have my private pilot's license with 80 plus hours in different airplanes.
Hey man glad you found this thread,
Allot yourself at least 3 months of study....your strategy should revolve around understanding as many concepts as you can and practicing as much as you can. I did this and went from a 6/6/6 49 to a 7/7/6 53!
(1) Your first step is to go through each and every page of this forum and search for study/gouge materials as there is an abundant amount on this gold mine. So buy a notebook (5 subject preferably) and take notes of all the study materials and practice questions from pages 1-323 of this forum (Sounds like a lot...but I have only one question for you...how bad do you want it?....plus there's a lot of repeated stuff on here but good for reinforcement)
(2) Buy a good prep book, in my personal experience, Barrons is the best along with the Trivium and ASTBE study guide 2018. You don't need all 3 books just one of these will suffice...so in your case...just use the Barron's book!
(3) If you struggle with math buy this GRE/GMAT math book as even though i'm an Aerospace engineer, I cannot emphasize how impt. it is to practice so that it becomes as easy as breathing. Like I was able to do some of those questions in my head (now I always recommend writing stuff out but this is just an idea of how good I got at solving these types of problems due to practice). So...the book you are looking for is this one: ARCO GRE/GMAT Math Review 6th Edition (Gre Gmat Math Review) 6th Edition....although any other math prep book like Peterson's GRE/GMAT (the newest one) should suffice as well
(4) Use some of these links as well:
http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/pdf/free/masterofficercandidate.pdf (another prep book for some more practice)
http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/pdf/MilitaryFlight_print.pdf (another prep book for some more practice)
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=_36014 (spatial practice)
(the spatial trick works wonders)
https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-history-6921638 (try to memorize as many as you can)
https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...tb-study-guides-gouges-and-links.37407/page-3 (another good forum)
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/astb-e-apex-4-experience-dec-2013.41357/ (go through this forum as well)

Lastly, I know it's a lot of 'shit' coming your way...but ultimately you only get 3 shots at this test so why not take the time and properly prepare yourself as best as you can. Personally, I did not finish all of the materials that I am posting on here but I got through most of em. Focus more on understanding and practicing several problems for math and mech. comprehension. This stuff will also help with all of the other sections as well, like aviation. And ofc, if you have any questions just post em on here! Take your time, pace yourself and do not rush!

Attachments

• ASTB additional study material.pdf
    630 KB · Views: 137
  • ASTB Resources.zip
    144.1 KB · Views: 132
  • astb study guide.pdf
    384.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Popeye's ASTBE_APEX ANIT.doc
    36 KB · Views: 108
  • ASTB additional study material.pdf
    630 KB · Views: 87
  • astb math to know.docx