• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
WOOHOO!!! I took the other three sections ... so can anyone tell me: what's my chances of sitting passenger in a jet?!? Oh but 17? Well I'm older than that so maybe they'll just let me fly one.

Maybe it is the cold weather .. but my brain doesn't understand the simile. ^^Lucy's reference seems like the most concrete piece of information we have.

Thanks for saying that. I thought I was the only one that didn't have a freaking clue of what he was talking about! Lucky for me the Navy chose me to sit passenger in a plane so I guess I don't have to worry! ;)...

Chucky, the other thing to consider is that it would be appropriate for someone pursuing Naval Intelligence to have knowledge of Aviation and Nautical Information. As Lucy pointed out the AQR is the section that has been required for Intel along with the OAR. The AQR is an overall assessment of the test with an emphasis in math.

WOOHOO!!! I took the other three sections ... so can anyone tell me: what's my chances of sitting passenger in a jet?!? Oh but 17? Well I'm older than that so maybe they'll just let me fly one.

Maybe it is the cold weather .. but my brain doesn't understand the simile. ^^Lucy's reference seems like the most concrete piece of information we have.

And you seem concretely like a moron. Navy doesn't require it, therefore one does not have to take it. The rule changed.

Thanks for saying that. I thought I was the only one that didn't have a freaking clue of what he was talking about! Lucky for me the Navy chose me to sit passenger in a plane so I guess I don't have to worry! ;)...

Chucky, the other thing to consider is that it would be appropriate for someone pursuing Naval Intelligence to have knowledge of Aviation and Nautical Information. As Lucy pointed out the AQR is the section that has been required for Intel along with the OAR. The AQR is an overall assessment of the test with an emphasis in math.

Intel does not require math especially if one is dealing with political issues or even weapons capabilities. Math is required if one is dealing with SWO.
So you are wrong even on that. Rules have changes as I pointed out. Only an idiot would take extra sections that have no relevance on a test for sexual reasons.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Intel does not require math especially if one is dealing with political issues or even weapons capabilities.

I never said Intel officers use a bunch of math. More than likely it is the thought process associated with math that the Navy would want a Intel officer to possess.

Math is required if one is dealing with SWO.

What are you talking about? Do you mean SWOs use math?

Rules have changes as I pointed out.

Can you provide something substantial to back your claims such as an official Navy website or anything for that matter?

Only an idiot would take extra sections that have no relevance on a test for sexual reasons.

What does this mean? You have completely lost me. This makes absolutely no sense.

GreenLantern330

Intel does not require math especially if one is dealing with political issues or even weapons capabilities. Math is required if one is dealing with SWO.
So you are wrong even on that. Rules have changes as I pointed out. Only an idiot would take extra sections that have no relevance on a test for sexual reasons.

Are you an Intel Officer or a SWO? No? Then how do you know what subject areas are required for each designator? Like twobecrazy said, provide some current evidence to back up your claims.

I never said Intel officers use a bunch of math. More than likely it is the thought process associated with math that the Navy would want a Intel officer to possess.

What are you talking about? Do you mean SWOs use math?

Can you provide something substantial to back your claims such as an official Navy website or anything for that matter?

What does this mean? You have completely lost me. This makes absolutely no sense.

Even the thought process is not heavily math based. As I said, 107A of Program Authorization clearly backs my claim. Look it up.

Are you an Intel Officer or a SWO? No? Then how do you know what subject areas are required for each designator? Like twobecrazy said, provide some current evidence to back up your claims.

I agreed with you before on the other thread. Read what I mentioned to him. If it is that difficult, then that is your problem.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Even the thought process is not heavily math based. As I said, 107A of Program Authorization clearly backs my claim. Look it up.

I'm pretty sure the Navy likes people with strong analytic abilities. Otherwise, what is the purpose of having commissioning sources such as STA-21 mandating people take physics, math, etc. Those types of subjects emphasis analytic capabilities. I'm not saying the Navy doesn't take other majors or areas because someone can possess analytic thought in many different backgrounds.

That being said lets do this together for the purpose of the argument. The AQR is all encompassing with emphasis in math. By having an emphasis in math that means they want someone with strong analytic abilities. Intel requires AQR (you have yet to prove us otherwise). I'm not saying it hasn't but based on your reputation I'm not taking your "word." Because I'm going on my original information it seems the Navy wants people with strong analytic capabilities in Intel.

Intel = AQR
AQR = Emphasis in Math
Math, Physics, etc. = analytic thought process

Intel = AQR = Emphasis in Math = analytic

So Intel = analytic!

I'm pretty sure the Navy likes people with strong analytic abilities. Otherwise, what is the purpose of having commissioning sources such as STA-21 mandating people take physics, math, etc. Those types of subjects emphasis analytic capabilities. I'm not saying the Navy doesn't take other majors or areas because someone can possess analytic thought in many different backgrounds.

That being said lets do this together for the purpose of the argument. The AQR is all encompassing with emphasis in math. By having an emphasis in math that means they want someone with strong analytic abilities. Intel requires AQR (you have yet to prove us otherwise). I'm not saying it hasn't but based on your reputation I'm not taking your "word." Because I'm going on my original information it seems the Navy wants people with strong analytic capabilities in Intel.

Intel = AQR
AQR = Emphasis in Math
Math, Physics, etc. = analytic thought process

Intel = AQR = Emphasis in Math = analytic

So Intel = analytic!

Now for your second part. See this again please.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AnmGiPyFZx...h/IMG_0007.jpg

It is the third line down. Yes that means Program Authorization 107A. It is out of date as Lucy said earlier and I am well aware of this. So once again you are correct and the information could have changed. But it has only recently changed (October 2010). So by all means please enlighten everyone here by providing the source you are viewing. Copy and paste your URL here. Thank you.

I pasted my URL just above. No where does it say AQR is required.
My URL has a signed and dated signuature from a Director versus yours is just a general URL. By your flawed logic then anyone with a 2.0 gpa and astb of 35 will make it. After all, it says it on your URL.

Another thing, AQR does not mean math. Pilots and FO are required to take those sections. Why? Because they deal with the aircraft's function. With your reasoning, even SEALs Divers, hell even Supply would need to take every section on the astb considering their on fixed and rotary aircraft more than intel, yet they don't.
The math section is for everyone. Math and AQR are not the same. Those taking extra sections are making up for something they lack in more than one way. If you notice, Physics and Math major is not a requirement for Intel. Guess why? Cause they are crappy at Intel and fit for engineering. This may suprise you, but Intel is not the same as Engineering. You have to realize things have changed. Navy isn't the Air Force.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
This trumps all of it:
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/PA107A%20Intel.pdf

All is required is an OAR. Only a closet case take more than the min sections.

Alright. Thank you that is the information I seen as well. That being said, Lucy and I are correct. What has happened is one authority came out and said this is the base line for what is required. That authority has then been stepped up by another authority.

For example in the Navy an instruction can say flight suits are authorized for wear by everyone in a flying billet. A CO of a squadron says everyone authorized to wear flight suits will only do so when they are on the flight schedule. So even though you are in a flying billet and are authorized to wear flight suits you can't wear it until you are on the flight schedule. That is a poor example but hopefully you get the idea.

GreenLantern330

First off, the link posted was from an OR's blog. He posts a lot of information from the ASTB, to requirements for selection, board dates, and who actually gets pro recc'd. His blog is very valuable.

Secondly, just because you have the scores necessary doesn't mean you'll get selected. Obviously things are extremely competitive right now, and a 35 OAR is crap. But, just because this was posted on our links, doesn't mean it's not the minimum requirement. And please don't overlook that. It is what it is: a MINIMUM requirement.

Have you also even taken into consideration the technology intels use might require math? If you're going to be locked up in a room on a ship/base with a lot of high-tech equipment all day, chances are that equipment requires extra math/technical skills. Almost everything in the Navy is technical.

Finally, your attitude sucks. There's no need to be rude and to call an OC (and a prior might I add) an idiot just because he has conflicting information.

First off, the link posted was from an OR's blog. He posts a lot of information from the ASTB, to requirements for selection, board dates, and who actually gets pro recc'd. His blog is very valuable.

Secondly, just because you have the scores necessary doesn't mean you'll get selected. Obviously things are extremely competitive right now, and a 35 OAR is crap. But, just because this was posted on our links, doesn't mean it's not the minimum requirement. And please don't overlook that. It is what it is: a MINIMUM requirement.

Have you also even taken into consideration the technology intels use might require math? If you're going to be locked up in a room on a ship/base with a lot of high-tech equipment all day, chances are that equipment requires extra math/technical skills. Almost everything in the Navy is technical.

Finally, your attitude sucks. There's no need to be rude and to call an OC (and a prior might I add) an idiot just because he has conflicting information.

Intelligence is a variety of different fields and most of it does not require any high level computers. There is a field for high level computers and that is "Information Warfare". Things are "competitive" only because low quality people are applying. Your link came form an OR blog, while my link is from the directior of personnel. A director has more power. Finally, you lack any real brain cells.

Alright. Thank you that is the information I seen as well. That being said, Lucy and I are correct. What has happened is one authority came out and said this is the base line for what is required. That authority has then been stepped up by another authority.

For example in the Navy an instruction can say flight suits are authorized for wear by everyone in a flying billet. A CO of a squadron says everyone authorized to wear flight suits will only do so when they are on the flight schedule. So even though you are in a flying billet and are authorized to wear flight suits you can't wear it until you are on the flight schedule. That is a poor example but hopefully you get the idea.

You are not correct. My authority is the director of personel Your authority is some OR. Director vs OR? Who has higher authority? Doesn't take a whole lot to figure that out. My authority is signed and dated. If that director signed something that is wrong, then there should have been some penalites enforced by the Navy. There isn't, and one can deduce what he put down is correct.