• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2 News chopper collide

Rg9

pilot
I thought I remember something written somewhere about "the pilot in command is ultimately responsible for his aircraft" or something like that... Oh yeah, I remember! It's written ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Yeah, it sucks, but to blame it on the guy is like blaming a fast food place for making the coffee you spill on yourself too hot.

White_Male

I thought I remember something written somewhere about "the pilot in command is ultimately responsible for his aircraft" or something like that... Oh yeah, I remember! It's written ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Yeah, it sucks, but to blame it on the guy is like blaming a fast food place for making the coffee you spill on yourself too hot.

Unfortunately, that is world we live in today.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, I said it was a stretch, but a case might be made for it. If the chase had not been happening the helos would not have collided.

We are talking a jury of the guys peers. Been to a jury selection lately? What exactly happened to OJ?

It's only up to a jury if it goes to trial. Before that happens, a judge will evaluate the case on its merits. Thankfully, the average juror is not the first shit-screen in our legal system. Whatever happens, let's stop throwing around the murder term. People tend to be lazy and careless when using that word and it likely doesn't apply here. Perhaps manslaughter or wrongful death, but probably not murder.

Brett

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Would I like to see the carjacker held responsible for their deaths? Yeah, hes a piece of trash so give him the needle for all I care.

Do I think he should be? No

Where do you draw the line?

If I run a red light, which causes someone to slam on their brakes, then they get rear ended, so shes late for work, which causes her to not be able to pay her bills, so she robs a bank and shoots someones kid, whose mom kills herself because shes depressed, whose husband calls the police, whose police car gets hit by a semi on the way to the dead wifes house, and the semi driver loses his job, so he robs a bank, but trips and breaks his neck on the way out, and at the hospital he tries to escape and carjacks a Chevy, then he loses control and runs into a group of people, and then someone sees it and spills their coffee, which burns them, and then they have to go to the hospital, and then he sues McDonalds, and the McDonalds attorney has to work overtime so his wife divorces him, then he shoots himself because hes depressed, am I responsible for all that?

If so I think I might be a mass murderer!

Random8145

Contributor
I heard that the news helos each have a pilot/reporter and a cameraman; why not make it a pilot and cameraman/reporter? Making the pilot also do the reporting seems rather like asking for an accident when you will have multiple news choppers flying within close distance of each other.

I don't think the perp should be charged for the crash though, even though they're a scumbag, it's not their fault the crash happened.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would put just as much blame on our obsessive 24-hour media culture. Why the hell do we need choppers chasing a "live event" to bring pictures to the 0.1% of the nation who happens to be watching CNN at that time? There is not enough important stuff going on in the world to justify a 24-hour news cycle. Thus, the media has to invent news. </rant>

Mango

pilot
Just my observations:
1. Charge they are looking to stick on the carjacker is negligent homicide. Source: the same tv news station that lost the aircraft. Seems like a stretch to me, according to the wiki definition.
2. Charge might be a ploy to force a plea bargain on an otherwise boring crime that ended sadly. After all, who are we to blame for the mishap: the pilots?
3. I agree that this is not the same as "meth fire kills firefighter". Firefighters are sworn civil servants and obligated to be there.
4. I am not an attorney, but I used to watch Boston Legal.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the news helos deconflicted by altitude blocks when on the same coverage...like OJ's drive.

XNVYFLYR any gouge on if they typically do deconflict?

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I thought the news helos deconflicted by altitude blocks when on the same coverage...like OJ's drive.

XNVYFLYR any gouge on if they typically do deconflict?

I can only speak on the San Diego ENG helicopters. We chat with those guys on 122.775 VHF, their common freq. Believe it or not, at least when we are involved in a chase (or any high profile incident) with more than one media helicopter, there may only be vertical separation between the law enforcement helicopter and the boondoggle of media helicopters (same altitude). It seems nutz but it's as if they just take their spot on merry-go-round. Thankfully, there aren't as many ENG helicopters as in Los Angeles where a traffic pursuit may have as many as 8-10 ENG helicopters in trail. They do keep comms flowing freely.

We usually take 500 feet and below and the media guys 1000 and above, sometimes higher because they can still get great shots with the high zoom cameras they have. It can all be worked out over the radio and we do have a great working relationship with them in San Diego.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
yeah, I don't know how this doesn't happen all the time. As I understand it these guys don't deconflict that much or that well.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Why not? In California if a guy has a meth lab that catches fire and a firefighter dies as a result, he can be charged with murder. I don't see how this is much different.

Except that the firefighter is not running in that meth lab to try and turn a profit...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah, I don't know how this doesn't happen all the time. As I understand it these guys don't deconflict that much or that well.

Ditto...big sky, little helo doesn't always work when you're fixated on same thing...Army used to have several midairs a year at their visual fixes inbound to their fields especially at night in goggles. Constant bearing, decreasing range in your peripheral vision can set you up big time for a close encounter of the midair kind.