• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

200 KT Sea Hawk? Coming soon!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How long until someone says, "Hey, how about putting a couple of hard points under the wings and let it carry more stuff" and it becomes the 200kt helo that tops out at 125kts?

Yep, that is the way it goes.....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have heard of 60Bs going 205 indicated in a steep dive from altitude.. Due to some unfriendly electrons coming their way from an unfriendly place..

Yikes. I'm surprised the wipers stayed on. Talk about the no-hear zone. "What? Say again on HAWK????"

Are we talking VH our in a dive. I've been over two hundie in a dive. Level flight in a L I've been close to 170. The active duty bubbas are starting to field the Mike model with the 701 D with a wider cord line blade. I don't even think that model will have a top Vh of over 170.

Vh...wow, that's a term I've forgotten. I was talking in a dive/max number w/ the red tape/barber pole. Not surprised to hear you were at 170 level in the L. I know a bud who tried to roll in on one of your guys' 6 out in HI (thinking it was one of our birds for a pre-arranged "rendezvous") in a fast Block 0 and he couldn't catch up. It was then that he saw the tailwheel and he figured it out.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The first flight of the fastest "Hawk" variant to date is fast approaching (no pun intended). NAVAIR began modifying a YSH-60F into a X-49 compound helo configuration in 2000 that will make it a world speed record contender and transferred the initiative to the Army in 2004.

Piasecki_X-49A.jpg

So FYI - Frank Piasecki is the inventor of the tandem rotor helicopter. Piasecki Helicopter became Vertol which became Boeing Helicopter. Frank's son Fred was a classmate, friend, and fellow dorm dweller at Boston University with me.

When I was at HC-6, I flew a '46 to the Piasecki Aircraft facility adjacent to the Philadelphia Airport and met Frank Sr. in person. I think even then they were pushing for a compound helo design.

I believe this has been a design case study at TPS - on the rotary wing branch - for years.

Fun stuff!