• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB 2nd Attempt on the OAR

Myath92

Hello,
I am struggling to pass the OAR. Missed the mark twice. This is my last try and it means the world to me to pass. Thank you for putting together this study material. I believe it well help. I can move forward with a 40. Do you have more study material? Appreciate it.
DR

Hello,

This is all the study guide I used. I believe 40 is the minimum they require to get to the door and move forward with your packet. I suggest you aim to score 50s. I study by taking these practice tests over and over again.

trakanon

Contributor
Best of luck I recently started studying OAR atand have been using Khan academy to refresh my Algebra skills studying like it was the GRE.. when I'm done I just plan to work on those practice tests

heidibaschnagel

wait wait, your reading section had naval policies/ regulations? I don't remember that being on mine.. I remember it being similar to SAT english portion..but I took mine in 2018, so my memory might not be accurate.

Hello!
I have the EXACT same situation as you. I took the OAR less than a month ago and scored a 39....I am studying diligently to up that number as much as I can. I also feel that my packet is strong and I am hoping to do much better at the second attempt. My Reading Comprehension section was mostly Navy related as well. I highly recommend continuing to use materials found on this site, as they seem to be the best. I have the Trivium Test Prep (OAR/ATSB) and went through all of that, but I find this site to have better resources.

Best of luck to you!
Heidi

Torchic

Yeah. Nothing close to a story passage or anything like that. It was if they took it straight out of a law book. Anyway, I am just trying to think of other ways I can study for this test outside of just diving into the internet lol but looks like that's going to be my main method. I plan on taking the test again in a month and have been studying pretty hard since my first attempt, so I'll either get the score or I won't. I wish there was a more structured plan on taking this test. I remember studying for the ASVAB a long time ago and was able to triple my score to an 86, after utilizing an ASVAB for Dummies book.
Just saw this and yes the reading part for me was a bunch of navy regs with no question about it; only answer choices. I have no idea what they wanted me to do in that section cause there was not a single question asked, only answer choices (I think this is also what killed me and got me a 40 on the OAR my second time). The mechanical part for me was A LOT of common sense stuff. I’m assuming you already took it again, do you mind sharing your advice for the reading portion (and any for the mechanical section if you have any)?

Tumbleweed33

Just saw this and yes the reading part for me was a bunch of navy regs with no question about it; only answer choices. I have no idea what they wanted me to do in that section cause there was not a single question asked, only answer choices (I think this is also what killed me and got me a 40 on the OAR my second time). The mechanical part for me was A LOT of common sense stuff. I’m assuming you already took it again, do you mind sharing your advice for the reading portion (and any for the mechanical section if you have any)?
The reading portion is rough with the navy regulations. But You need to do a process of elimination with those.
Write down ABCD on your scratch paper before you start each question. Read through the answers then strike through the obviously wrong ones. The ASTB study guide books are really helpful in teaching you how to do it. You have to look out for the all-encompassing words like always and never. just doing that throws out one or two answers depending on the question.

For the math section use the Khan Academy videos and a GRE study book to brush up on Algebra. Just start in the basic algebra section of one of those GRE study books That helped me the most.

For the mechanical portion study the proprofs flashcard set. the ASTB study guides are great at helping you brush up on your physics concepts as well. but for practice, I found the flashcard set the most helpful.

Your best source of information is to Poke around on 1001 questions about the ASTB lots of really good advice on there. Even the advice from people as far back as 2015 is extremely helpful.

Torchic

The reading portion is rough with the navy regulations. But You need to do a process of elimination with those.
Write down ABCD on your scratch paper before you start each question. Read through the answers then strike through the obviously wrong ones. The ASTB study guide books are really helpful in teaching you how to do it. You have to look out for the all-encompassing words like always and never. just doing that throws out one or two answers depending on the question.

For the math section use the Khan Academy videos and a GRE study book to brush up on Algebra. Just start in the basic algebra section of one of those GRE study books That helped me the most.

For the mechanical portion study the proprofs flashcard set. the ASTB study guides are great at helping you brush up on your physics concepts as well. but for practice, I found the flashcard set the most helpful.

Your best source of information is to Poke around on 1001 questions about the ASTB lots of really good advice on there. Even the advice from people as far back as 2015 is extremely helpful.

Ah thank you very much! Sorry for the late response the holidays got me Busy. Yeah the reading part I definitely guessed on cause it threw me off as there were no questions about the paragraphs it gave me.