• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

30 year old SWO?

Mavy

Hey all, please have mercy if this has already been answered, but my facts are fairly unique, so brief background:
29 (will be 30 in March), no prior military service, but I did attend a military college in the south.
I did not pursue a commission after graduation because (I am asked this ALL the time) my parents were ill, nursed them back to life- I went after a Navy Commish 2 years after graduating, told without a 3.5 GPA, not happening. Went to law school, tried JAG- boards are always cancelled (5% selection rate now). REALLY want to be a Naval officer, recently contacted recruiter about SWO slot (I hate being a lawyer anyway and it's in my blood to be in the Navy). Meeting with him formally next week. I have all my stuff together that I prepared for JAG- transcripts, moto statement, records, etc etc. I have not taken the ASTB but I did score a 96 on the ASVAB, so I don't know if that's even comparable.

Undergrad GPA - 2.5 business admin (I know, I know)
Law school GPA- T2 school, 3.0
Licensed to practice in 2 states and DC.
Practice law now for a year
D-1 varsity wrestler
A host of community service, volunteer, leadership roles in student gov't both in college and law school, board member of my state's Young Lawyer Division, very active in community, coach, come from military family, etc etc.

Essentially, with all the competition out there, me no longer being young (knocking on age waiver's door) and not having a tech degree, should I get my hopes up? For me, it's not about a "bad economy" or an emotional hitch. I'll serve the Navy's needs, of course, but really want to jump ship on SWO.

Thoughts?

exNavyOffRec

SWO is closed until at least FY14. In addition no waivers are or have been given for age unless the person is prior or the delay is the fault of the USN.

JAG boards haven't been being cancelled, we are consistantly getting JAG applicants to process that the boards have selected, we just had one a few months ago. I have a feeling they just don't want to tell you your GPA for JAG isn't competitive, the people we have processed have had very high GPA's (3.7 or greater), the selection rate is right, it varies from 3-5%

Your best bet is trying to go reserve, not sure how reserve JAG is looking, some reserve programs are wide open (CEC), others are not.

exNavyOffRec

Geez, FY14 for SWO OCS? What is left?

I ask because people ask me about OCS alot.
Not much, Pilot and nuke
Supply done for FY12, actually over selected
Intel done for FY12 10 spots left for FY13
IW has about 2 more spots for FY12
NFO closed FY12, FY13 unknown
IP closed FY12, FY13 unknown
PAO no billets for FY12

Mavy

Argh, the truth, it hurts, but it is what it is. Well, I can't get JAG reserve as a direct appointment, and I guess if the regular reserve is all that is left, that's the route I will have to go. I'll find out more next week, thanks for the input- but damn, no SWO till FY2014? That's what, October? FML.

exNavyOffRec

Argh, the truth, it hurts, but it is what it is. Well, I can't get JAG reserve as a direct appointment, and I guess if the regular reserve is all that is left, that's the route I will have to go. I'll find out more next week, thanks for the input- but damn, no SWO till FY2014? That's what, October? FML.
If they select for SWO FY14 the board would probably be Jan 2013, but the numbers I am hearing still have way too many through FY13 so that means that some could slide to FY14.

Yes the truth does hurt and I have found many OR's hate to give bad news such as telling applicants when they are PDQ by N3M, or that they weren't selected, or that they don't meet the PA.

exNavyOffRec

IW strongly suggest a year of calculus and calculus based physics, the boards exact wording under significant negative factors was "not having a year of calculus and calculus based physics"

Mavy

Well there goes IW. I mean I do have a year of calculus, but not calc based phyiscs. I'm a lawyer, not a scientist. I hate my life right now. What's left?
Reserves...ahh the good ol' reserves...well, at least it's something. Is there a waiting period for reserves or can I ship out stat?

exNavyOffRec

If you have the calculus I would give it a shot, even with both the chance is slim for any candidate for IW, in general any of the IDC designators are going to have a selection rate less than JAG

Reserves I would ask what is open from a reserve recruiter, I only gets bits and pieces on that side.

Mavy

Awesome. Thanks for all the info, you've been a great help! I'll just go with the flow and speak with the recruiter
next week, see what kind of promises he makes. I bet dollars to donuts he tries to convince me to enlist (which I
would do if I didn't have so many financial obligations).

das

Contributor
Strongly considering recommend reserves, too. You will still be a Naval Officer, and you will still be serving your country. Also, the age limit for many communities is 42, with Staff Officer positions not really having an age limit per se.

For IDC communities other than INTEL (IW, IP, OCEANO), the selection rate is pretty low (<5%). INTEL does tend to attract a lot of lawyers and law enforcement professionals, and they're looking for good analytic skills, but more importantly, established leadership or management experience. The selection rate for INTEL is better (~20-25%). Persistence is key.

The conventional OCS path, in theory, teaches you how to be a leader. The reserve direct commission path (DCO/DIRCOM) is looking for people who already have proven leadership skills.

If you talk to a reserve recruiter make SURE it is an Officer Recruiter. Don't speak with anyone else than an Officer Recruiter — and they won't try to convince you to enlist. Also, with selection rates for Officers so low, recruiters are generally not making any promises. Have heard many stories of people going for reserve direct commissions complaining they can't even get someone to call them back. As we say, you sort of have to "recruit yourself".

To that end, check out the posts in the Navy Reserve forum here for a lot of great gouge. Also, see the Reserve Program Authorizations here for requirements for each community, and see also the guidelines and schedule for the direct commission process.

exNavyOffRec

Strongly considering recommend reserves, too. You will still be a Naval Officer, and you will still be serving your country. Also, the age limit for many communities is 42, with Staff Officer positions not really having an age limit per se.

For IDC communities other than INTEL (IW, IP, OCEANO), the selection rate is pretty low (<5%). INTEL does tend to attract a lot of lawyers and law enforcement professionals, and they're looking for good analytic skills, but more importantly, established leadership or management experience. The selection rate for INTEL is better (~20-25%). Persistence is key.

The conventional OCS path, in theory, teaches you how to be a leader. The reserve direct commission path (DCO/DIRCOM) is looking for people who already have proven leadership skills.

If you talk to a reserve recruiter make SURE it is an Officer Recruiter. Don't speak with anyone else than an Officer Recruiter — and they won't try to convince you to enlist. Also, with selection rates for Officers so low, recruiters are generally not making any promises. Have heard many stories of people going for reserve direct commissions complaining they can't even get someone to call them back. As we say, you sort of have to "recruit yourself".

To that end, check out the posts in the Navy Reserve forum here for a lot of great gouge. Also, see the Reserve Program Authorizations here for requirements for each community, and see also the guidelines and schedule for the direct commission process.
If you contact an officer recruiter and they don't keep contacting you it is probably because they feel you don't have a chance, in some cases the recruiters get gun shy with some "qualified" applicants that just meet the PA, for instance there was a panel interview where afterwards one of the members (a senior officer) asked the recruiter why the panels time was wasted on this individual.

In some areas you will find enlisted have been assigned to recruit both enlisted and officer.

The Intel PA is undergoing a re-write, supposedly it is going to be changed to specify technical degrees.

The one exception to proven leadership for reserve positions is CEC, they are taking anything right now.

Mavy

Thanks for the additional input. The recruiter I contacted is an "officer recruiter." I sent him my resume per his request and he emailed
me back stating that this week he will be sending more info in order to get my "officer package" together. I hope that is a sign I have a
chance. While I am realistic and thankfully have backup plans, the Reserves is something I definitely will pursue if active duty does not
work out. <5% means there's a chance, and if there's a chance, I've always been one to go for it! I basically have an "officer package"
ready because I had prepared a JAG package- I have to tweak my moto statement (changing from JAG to SWO) and then update my
LOR's but everything else is good to go!

I will keep everyone posted on how things go and I am sure I'll be asking more questions! Happy New Year!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'll defer to NavyOffRec and your real-life officer recruiter for the details and courtesy/etiquette in simultaneously applying to active duty and reserves, but have you considered simultaneously applying to both?

I've met plenty of really neat people who wear wings, but overall I thought the various cats and dogs I worked with on my dissociated sea tour were even more interesting. Best of luck with whatever course you pursue.